• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IBM To Cut More Than 110,000 Jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    As Suity sayd, it depends on what you do there ...
    Press Officer for IBM.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Might be of interest to some folks on here:
      IBM To Cut More Than 110,000 Jobs - Report

P.S. Sorry for posting an IT related story in General
      Seems like a bit of rumour mongering...

An unconfirmed report...
      However, some technology commentators have said they are sceptical about the size of the reported cuts.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Nothing in the news here and Im slap bang in the middle of Silicon Valley. Sounds a load of bollocks to me.
        Er, this?
        Huh? As IBM Readies To Perform The Biggest Corporate Employee Cull In History, It Claims Cloud Leadership - Forbes

Comment

why do you think the bobs will go?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Cheap Labour no more the Silver bullet

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              It's happened before,
              Job Cuts And Weeping Workers At IBM India - Forbes
              As IBM reportedly cuts 50,000 India jobs, CEO replaces Global Services leader -TechWire Insider :: The Skinny at WRAL TechWire

But IMO there aren't that many able techs left in IBM. Many services are delivered from India, so deep cuts there would cause delivery issues I suspect. However, another POV, per a comment I read on another website, is that IBM customers are fed up with sub-standard off-shored services. See
              I, Cringely IBM's reorg-from-Hell launches next week - I, Cringely

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                Check the status of WFH for contractors. The ones I worked with had pretty miserable stories with the IBM permies insisting on the contractors to be on site all week so that they can w@nk at home most of the time!
                I have been here since March 2010, and WFH has never been denied me.
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

One article by one person. There's nowt on that tinternet ting.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well not sure what experiences other people have had with IBM but mine were not positive.

Overpriced overblown software which requires in depth customisation to get it to do pretty much anything.

Poor development practices making the above a horror story.

I could go on but I won't.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Then again, if you can just sell 'em to someone else:

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/conte...workforce.html
                      Indeed. One of the rumours is that GBS will be spun out into a new company, thereby reducing IBM's workforce by 100k in one go.

Comment

Working...
                      X