• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IBM To Cut More Than 110,000 Jobs"

Collapse

• tractor
    replied

It's all OK, Waitrose are creating 2000 new jobs.

Leave a comment:

• Grasser73
    replied
    Well, they've just renewed me, and 20 or so other contractors here, for another 12 months and they still need more bodies on the project. This news has the potential for things to get 'interesting' though.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Those dirty spekulants!!!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I always take 'industry analysts' with a pinch of salt:

IBM has released a statement:
    "IBM does not comment on rumors or speculation. However, we’ll make an exception when the speculation is stupid. That’s the case here, where an industry gadfly is trying to make noise about how IBM is about to lay off 26 percent of its workforce. That’s over 100,000 people, which is totally ludicrous.
    "The fact is that IBM already announced, after 3Q earnings report, that the company would take a $600m charge for restructuring. That’s several thousand people. Not 10,000, or 100,000. Moreover, IBM currently has job postings for more than 10,000 professionals worldwide, with more than half of them in growth areas such as cloud, analytics, security and mobile technologies.
    "A little perspective on IBM’s earnings is in order. The company still makes huge profit… $21 billion in operating pre-tax profit last year. And IBM’s “strategic imperatives” represent 27 per cent ( and growing ) of the company’s total revenue… $25 billion in revenues, up 16 percent. We have high growth in a substantial portion of the portfolio, and those areas (CAMSS) have better-than-normal margins in areas that matter most to clients today — that’s the heart of the IBM transformation."
    I know some quite high up people in IBM EMEA and mailing them has yielded no information either...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Really? The commodity PC market, the commodity server market, the money-losing chip making business?
    They should have licensed IBM PC from start, that would have kept the prices controlled via license fees. Money losing chip making business? Well, they've got all those FOOKING MBAs to figure out how to make money on that!

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Which of these were crown jewels. Many observers reckon that getting rid of commodity and loss-makers is smart strategy.
    It's such a fooking brilliant strategy that IBM will be cutting 26% of jobs...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Well, they sold off all their crown jewels instead of trying to compete and keep the edge.
    Really? The commodity PC market, the commodity server market, the money-losing chip making business?

Which of these were crown jewels. Many observers reckon that getting rid of commodity and loss-makers is smart strategy.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Worked for them, in their advanced server prototype lab, back in the early nineties (my first contract) and it was great place to work, although it was product research/development. Worked for them again in 1999 when they were an IT service provider to General Accident and it was an awful experience

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Well, they sold off all their crown jewels instead of trying to compete and keep the edge.
    Last edited by AtW; 26 January 2015, 17:01.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Then again, if you can just sell 'em to someone else:

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/conte...workforce.html
    Indeed. One of the rumours is that GBS will be spun out into a new company, thereby reducing IBM's workforce by 100k in one go.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Well not sure what experiences other people have had with IBM but mine were not positive.

Overpriced overblown software which requires in depth customisation to get it to do pretty much anything.

Poor development practices making the above a horror story.

I could go on but I won't.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    One article by one person. There's nowt on that tinternet ting.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Check the status of WFH for contractors. The ones I worked with had pretty miserable stories with the IBM permies insisting on the contractors to be on site all week so that they can w@nk at home most of the time!
    I have been here since March 2010, and WFH has never been denied me.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    why do you think the bobs will go?
    It's happened before,
    Job Cuts And Weeping Workers At IBM India - Forbes
    As IBM reportedly cuts 50,000 India jobs, CEO replaces Global Services leader -TechWire Insider :: The Skinny at WRAL TechWire

But IMO there aren't that many able techs left in IBM. Many services are delivered from India, so deep cuts there would cause delivery issues I suspect. However, another POV, per a comment I read on another website, is that IBM customers are fed up with sub-standard off-shored services. See
    I, Cringely IBM's reorg-from-Hell launches next week - I, Cringely

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Cheap Labour no more the Silver bullet

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Leave a comment: