• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie salaries - In IT why would you ever accept them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, are we doing the '40k is near poverty' thing again?

It's so cute how far removed from reality you are. Bless.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Talking of which, what's the latest on that debt lady who had two B2Ls, restaurant, lots of debt and IT job - she used to write blog on BBC?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

In almost any walk of life!
        Except in Dentistry, Solicitor, Architect, bus driver, pilot, accountant, medical. I'd wager that IT is the most ageist profession after BBC News Presenter.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

It's so cute how far removed from reality you are. Bless.
          If we're talking about maximising your potential income, it may not be near poverty but I suppose the point is you could be doing better. Though I imagine 40k may not necessarily go that far if you're raising kids.

Comment

Salaries in software development suck.

Every developer worth their salt is putting in a fair amount of self-study every week just to keep the job they've got. When I was permanent it was always: "here are some new technologies we're using, we can't afford to give you training or let you learn on the job, you'll have to do it in your personal time". I wouldn't have minded doing this if it meant you got anywhere, but you do it just to run on the spot and not make any career progress. (For most people programming turns out to be a dead-end job).

My best decisions have been
            1. going contracting
            2. getting out of programming

Comment

What did you change to, if you don't mind my asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                What did you change to, if you don't mind my asking?
                Business analysis: it's not been offshored to the same extent as programming yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
                  Salaries in software development suck.

... but you do it just to run on the spot and not make any career progress. (For most people programming turns out to be a dead-end job).

My best decisions have been
                  1. going contracting
                  2. getting out of programming
                  Amen brother. Now to keep the kids from getting into it.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I recall graduates from our year in the mid-90's jumping on to the IT wagon like a gold rush. It's was like investing your life savings in a startup with no previous track record. Silly silly silly.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X