• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie salaries - In IT why would you ever accept them?"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    I recall graduates from our year in the mid-90's jumping on to the IT wagon like a gold rush. It's was like investing your life savings in a startup with no previous track record. Silly silly silly.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    Salaries in software development suck.

... but you do it just to run on the spot and not make any career progress. (For most people programming turns out to be a dead-end job).

My best decisions have been
    1. going contracting
    2. getting out of programming
    Amen brother. Now to keep the kids from getting into it.

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    What did you change to, if you don't mind my asking?
    Business analysis: it's not been offshored to the same extent as programming yet.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    What did you change to, if you don't mind my asking?

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    Salaries in software development suck.

Every developer worth their salt is putting in a fair amount of self-study every week just to keep the job they've got. When I was permanent it was always: "here are some new technologies we're using, we can't afford to give you training or let you learn on the job, you'll have to do it in your personal time". I wouldn't have minded doing this if it meant you got anywhere, but you do it just to run on the spot and not make any career progress. (For most people programming turns out to be a dead-end job).

My best decisions have been
    1. going contracting
    2. getting out of programming

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Oh, are we doing the '40k is near poverty' thing again?

It's so cute how far removed from reality you are. Bless.
    If we're talking about maximising your potential income, it may not be near poverty but I suppose the point is you could be doing better. Though I imagine 40k may not necessarily go that far if you're raising kids.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

In almost any walk of life!
    Except in Dentistry, Solicitor, Architect, bus driver, pilot, accountant, medical. I'd wager that IT is the most ageist profession after BBC News Presenter.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Talking of which, what's the latest on that debt lady who had two B2Ls, restaurant, lots of debt and IT job - she used to write blog on BBC?

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied

It's so cute how far removed from reality you are. Bless.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Goodness you guys need to find a new career in real engineering.

An income of less than <80k net and it's beans on toast time.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Permie jobs in consultancies seem to pay the best. The problem is you tend to get shipped everywhere from Redcar to Bournemouth and beyond on a weekly basis.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I was on 60k perm in Leeds c2010 and that was a bit less net that I draw as the optimum now as a contractor. As perm I got hols, pension (tho that looked tulipe) and not much else.

As a contractor I get the same like I said, hols = bench time, pension = warchest, I know which I prefer......

Perm only lasted a year, fell out with boss but he was a twat....

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Plus most people on 40K aren't actually very good (not that the 40k indicates so - but you get to that ceiling just by hanging around for n number of years), so contracting might not offer much more.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    A lot of folks (me included) worked their way up- from the £10K (no dividends!) up through 12, 15, 20, 25, 28, 30 etc. - from THAT perspective, it's easy to see why people get to 40 and think "well, I've got by on less!"

Also there's the fear of striking out on your own and not knowing if you'll still have a job by Christmas. If you haven't got a safety net of money then "go contracting!" is easier said than done. It took some serious safety net for me to give it a go, and I'm glad I did.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The head of software development would struggle to get £70K. Would be outsourced to a Bob for $10 an hour.

I think what would surprise people is how much non-IT is paying. For example a bricklayer gets £500 a day now.
    Nice collection of random numbers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X