• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Religion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You said there is definitely, definitively, no God. Now you're merely saying there is no proof for the existence of God. The two are entirely different, the second is back-tracking substantially as it only says "there is no reason to believe in God" rather than "there is no God".
    Don't be such a fool! I was offering the no proof argument to help you understand that there is no god. I know there is no god. Like i know there is no Santa. Or no Gandalf.

The religious texts are written by man to control the weak willed. For those who are stronger willed, there is religious force and punishment. This is the way mankind has lived through the ages. The stories in the religious texts are no more real than any other fiction writing. I mean, come on, Noah and his ark

I actually feel sorry for those that still need a god to help them justify their lives.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      They aren't *that* far apart. As you know, it is not possible to prove a negative. That doesn't mean that we should consider *anything* to be possible.

The existence of God is just as likely as the existence of *ANY* other thing we could possibly dream up. I.e. sufficiently unlikely that it is unreasonable to believe that God might exist.

You can't try to make a reasoned argument by suggesting that is reasonable to believe something that is unreasonable. It's a self-falsifying argument.
      What he said

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        FFS can someone summarize the "deep" discussion?!
        1. Some adults still believe in fairy stories
        2. Intelligent adults don't

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          FFS can someone summarize the "deep" discussion?!
          Basically - Religion is consigned to the dustbin of history. Until that time I hope SETI does not achieve its goal. Can you imagine? Our opening to an somewhat advanced civilisation "So this Mohamed guy, what a chancer, eh?"
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Religion

Okay let's do this. The gloves are off, I'm a glass of wine down, the question is...
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I believe in Andyw.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Okay let's do this. The gloves are off, I'm a glass of wine down, the question is...
                Why don't I see an option with AndyW's mum?

Comment

No AndyW no survey. Its almost as if you want to confirm that you are a
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

See below
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      Perhaps you would care to track back how science has proved many religious philosophies wrong and will continue to do so. For example there is a scientific explanation behind why so many people in the North have six fingers which you might be interested to know is not gods punishment nor is it witchcraft
                      There are over 2 billion Christians and nearly as many Muslims in the world. Many scientists, mathematicians, doctors, philosophers etc. are of those faiths. It is your arrogance and ignorance as well as your darn right stubbornness to insist that religion has no intellectual value and all those people collectively (no doubt many follow blindly) are just following like sheep. If you were to ever remove this arrogant biased from your narrow minded view and sit down to read religious texts with an open mind then you might start to comprehend that.

The funny thing is that Islam actually advanced science tremendously in its early years and a lot of the founders of the branches of our sciences were muslim scholars and philosophers! Shock horror! That is not to say Islam is the correct religion just that religion does not have to oppose science and in fact any religion that has genuine value should advance mankind.

I can bet my house that you have never sat down and pondered over a religious text or thought about the purpose of our futile existence. Look how pathetic we are without a purpose- we come from some sperm and an egg and we will end up a stinking corpse.

I don't advocate any particular faith just that all religions should be taken on merit and not our preconceived pathetic views.

Comment

Working...
                      X