• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Religion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I believe in Andyw.
    Well, at least he is real.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Well, at least he is real.
      If he's his own mum, that does sound kindof Godly.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        The funny thing is that Islam actually advanced science tremendously in its early years
        It dd no such thing. Men did that - and if they'd not been Muslim they might have done even better. That's like saying that nazism advanced science tremendously - again it did no such thing. Men who happened to be nazis, or worked for nazis, did it. There is nothing inherent in nazism, like islam, that gave them magical abilities.

Look how pathetic we are without a purpose- we come from some sperm and an egg and we will end up a stinking corpse.
        I really pity you. That might sound offensive, but I mean it honestly - and say as much, because as an atheist (and perhaps an anti-theist) I find life glorious. You can have that too if you pull your head out of your arse and stop infantilising yourself.

I don't advocate any particular faith just that all religions should be taken on merit and not our preconceived pathetic views.
        That's all atheists advocate too. They're just better following their own advice than you are.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          It dd no such thing. Men did that - and if they'd not been Muslim they might have done even better. That's like saying that nazism advanced science tremendously - again it did no such thing. Men who happened to be nazis, or worked for nazis, did it. There is nothing inherent in nazism, like islam, that gave them magical abilities.

I really pity you. That might sound offensive, but I mean it honestly - and say as much, because as an atheist (and perhaps an anti-theist) I find life glorious. You can have that too if you pull your head out of your arse and stop infantilising yourself.

That's all atheists advocate too. They're just better following their own advice than you are.
          So when good comes out of a person it is the man who deserves the credit. When evil comes out it it's the religions fault. The biased in your mindset is clear for all to see. No objectivity and no clear thinking just preconceived ignorant views without any basis.

Comment

There are over 2 billion Christians and nearly as many Muslims in the world. Many scientists, mathematicians, doctors, philosophers etc. are of those faiths. It is your arrogance and ignorance as well as your darn right stubbornness to insist that religion has no intellectual value and all those people collectively (no doubt many follow blindly) are just following like sheep. If you were to ever remove this arrogant biased from your narrow minded view and sit down to read religious texts with an open mind then you might start to comprehend that.

The funny thing is that Islam actually advanced science tremendously in its early years and a lot of the founders of the branches of our sciences were muslim scholars and philosophers! Shock horror! That is not to say Islam is the correct religion just that religion does not have to oppose science and in fact any religion that has genuine value should advance mankind.

I can bet my house that you have never sat down and pondered over a religious text or thought about the purpose of our futile existence. Look how pathetic we are without a purpose- we come from some sperm and an egg and we will end up a stinking corpse.

I don't advocate any particular faith just that all religions should be taken on merit and not our preconceived pathetic views.
            I was just thinking that it might look like I'm being really harsh towards you - I don't mean to be. It's just that what you're saying is absolutely insane. I can't insinuate that you're being insane, without making it sound like I think you're insane. No offence per se is intended

Comment

I was just thinking that it might look like I'm being really harsh towards you - I don't mean to be. It's just that what you're saying is absolutely insane. I can't insinuate that you're being insane, without making it sound like I think you're insane. No offence per se is intended
              I don't take things personally, I stand up for religion because I have studied it to an extent where I see it's value and merit and how some religions must be from God. It is sad for me to see the world devoid of the true values that religion brings to enhance and advance humanity

Comment

So when good comes out of a person it is the man who deserves the credit. When evil comes out it it's the religions fault.
                No, because there is only man. Faith/religion is a man's choice to not use his faculty of reason.

The biased in your mindset is clear for all to see.
                The bias in my mindset should be clear - that there is only man. Religion is no excuse.

No objectivity and no clear thinking just preconceived ignorant views without any basis.
                Consider the above two sections, and then contrast that with the idea of faith - the belief in ideas with no evidence giving reason to. Which of those could be described as 'preconceived'? Which is objective?

Comment

I don't take things personally, I stand up for religion because I have studied it to an extent where I see it's value and merit and how some religions must be from God. It is sad for me to see the world devoid of the true values that religion brings to enhance and advance humanity
                  Well thats good, because I hold no value in insulting someone I don't even know.

Comment

Which religions must be from which God?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

No, because there is only man. Faith/religion is a man's choice to not use his faculty of reason.

The bias in my mindset should be clear - that there is only man. Religion is no excuse.

Consider the above two sections, and then contrast that with the idea of faith - the belief in ideas with no evidence giving reason to. Which of those could be described as 'preconceived'? Which is objective?
                      Atheist or not you can't escape the fact that religion(s) are linked to a country's culture and history. They are also a good way of maintaining social order and to stop people doing things that could harm themselves and others. Though the latter doesn't work in all cases especially if they are a politician.

One reason why people can claim to be Christian, Muslim etc and not practise that religion, and another reason why groups like Sikhs and Jews are classed as ethnic groups under English and Welsh law.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X