• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rehabilitation of Offenders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    How did "reasonable to assume" became BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT???
    become

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      become
      Here you go, spelling & grammar mob!

Comment

That's the thing - most of the mob got nothing to do with smallish football clubs that were considering giving him the only job he can do - the only people who got stake and say in it are the supporters of the club, it's employees and sponsors, but we don't hear their voices, other than sponsors who are tulip scared at national level of publicity.
        I actually have watched smaller local teams. Oddly myself like a lot of people I know have worked at football clubs as a young adults.

Football clubs at all levels have been doing a lot in the past couple of decades to attract women and families with young children to their clubs. Players walk on the pitch with children before the game, make appearances at events for children/those with learning difficulties and do random events where they sign merchandise. (One of my local teams had players signing merchandise in a shopping centre before Christmas and there was a massive crowd of people of all ages.)

Ched Evans is on the sex offenders register and will stay on it once he has finished his probation. That means he can't work or volunteer with children or vulnerable people. While some employers can't employ people on the sex offenders register other employers simply won't employ them regardless that they are never alone with these groups of people "just in case".

The UK is going through a period of lots of sex abuse scandals coming to light, and some of them are very recent involving children and vulnerable people. Any club who employs him is going to have to chaperone him everywhere otherwise they are opening themselves up to potential future claims.

If he had committed manslaughter or a drug offence and admitted it he would be able to play football with no fuss once he had done his time, however due to the nature of his crime, his refusal to admit he's done wrong and the current environment any club who touches him is taking a big risk.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          due to the nature of his crime, his refusal to admit he's done wrong
          Well, it's possible that he is innocent as he says, appeal is certainly in order but I reckon he'll lose it because he can't afford good lawyer. Unlike those premiership footballers that can punch somebody in the face on CCTV and walk free.

Comment

Well, it's possible that he is innocent as he says, appeal is certainly in order but I reckon he'll lose it because he can't afford good lawyer. Unlike those premiership footballers that can punch somebody in the face on CCTV and walk free.
            I seriously doubt that's the issue.

His father-in-law isn't short of money.

Plus lots of people bankrupt themselves to clear their name.

Rape trials are generally he says - she says and to get a conviction is very hard.

There have been other men who have been convicted because the woman was so drunk it was judged by witnesses that saw her before the event she couldn't consent, so the case isn't unusual as people make out.

Comment

How did "reasonable to assume" became BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT???
              Eh? My point was that it was beyond reasonable doubt.

Comment

I wonder if any of this would have happened if they'd all been drinking tea that evening?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Eh? My point was that it was beyond reasonable doubt.
                  Reasonable assumption is not the same as beyond reasonable doubt. It's completely opposite! He must have been guilty beyond reasonable doubt. You can't convict for such serious offence on the basis of "reasonable assumption", it works only one way - negative, ie - if there is reasonable doubt then NOT guilty, but NOT - I have reason to believe he did it, you actually have to PROVE it. Quite how ASSUMED 2.5 times above DRIVING limit was used to convict (for anything other than driving offenses) is beyond me.

Comment

BBC Sport - Oldham director Barry Owen resigns from club Trust

"Oldham said there were threats to the club's "staff and their families" before they called off the move.

Owen said he deplored "masses of abuse from a minority, some of which has been libellous and harmful to my family"."

Comment

Reasonable assumption is not the same as beyond reasonable doubt. It's completely opposite! He must have been guilty beyond reasonable doubt. You can't convict for such serious offence on the basis of "reasonable assumption", it works only one way - negative, ie - if there is reasonable doubt then NOT guilty, but NOT - I have reason to believe he did it, you actually have to PROVE it. Quite how ASSUMED 2.5 times above DRIVING limit was used to convict (for anything other than driving offenses) is beyond me.
                      Unless you were in the jury room with the jury you cannot presume what they thought and went through in their deliberations.

If you don't like the UK justice systems then I'm afraid you are going to have to emigrate. Though if you go to the States definitely ensure you have money.

Comment

Working...
                      X