• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Because councils want to wring the last penny out of businesses and really dont give a ****.

I ran a retail business for 5 years with Mrs Bolshie. We were lucky to get out with the clothes on our back. The local council use every trick in the book to screw you for money.

They repeatedly questioned us where we took our rubbish and why we were not buying rubbish removal services from them. We repeatedly told them (and showed them) we recycled virtually everything. The small amount of stuff we didnt recycle, was stored on site.

They just would not believe you could recycle so much stuff and continually pestered us. Eventually to shut them up and get them off our back, we engaged a certified waste disposal company to come and take away one bin sack of rubbish. It cost us £50 but also provided a certification of waste.

The next time the council came round and demanded to know where our rubbish went I stuffed the certificate under the weasel's nose. I kid not, he spent 10 minutes closely examining the certificate and phoned his office to confirm the company was on the council's approved list of waste companies!

Its no wonder there are so many empty stores.
    Its like legal aid you will never win they have all the money in the world to mess with your head.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Because councils want to wring the last penny out of businesses and really dont give a ****.

I ran a retail business for 5 years with Mrs Bolshie. We were lucky to get out with the clothes on our back. The local council use every trick in the book to screw you for money.

They repeatedly questioned us where we took our rubbish and why we were not buying rubbish removal services from them. We repeatedly told them (and showed them) we recycled virtually everything. The small amount of stuff we didnt recycle, was stored on site.

They just would not believe you could recycle so much stuff and continually pestered us. Eventually to shut them up and get them off our back, we engaged a certified waste disposal company to come and take away one bin sack of rubbish. It cost us £50 but also provided a certification of waste.

The next time the council came round and demanded to know where our rubbish went I stuffed the certificate under the weasel's nose. I kid not, he spent 10 minutes closely examining the certificate and phoned his office to confirm the company was on the council's approved list of waste companies!

Well who gives a **** whether the business makes money or not. What is important is that the council needs to pay the employees 100K plus and massive bonuses year after year. And gold plated pensions. Council is nothing but a job creation vehicle and a old boy club for the same people to circulate around different councils getting massive pay rises each time.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        Well who gives a **** whether the business makes money or not. What is important is that the council needs to pay the employees 100K plus and massive bonuses year after year. And gold plated pensions. Council is nothing but a job creation vehicle and a old boy club for the same people to circulate around different councils getting massive pay rises each time.
        Um, most people working for the council earn like £19K.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Um, most people working for the council earn like £19K.
          Yep but those are the people who are also shat upon by the management on £100k+ a year.

If you watch locally you will see that in the current cuts initially the councils sacked a middle management layer. Since then all cuts have been done at lower levels while the senior management have tried to keep themselves and their mates in their well paid jobs....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I asked at PermieCo if we had cardboard recycling, and was told no because when they'd enquired the council wanted about £1K a year just to provide a brown bin and empty it. I thought councils were meant to be encouraging recycling?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Highstreet shops are so last millenium.
              Out of town malls are the way to go

Comment

This ^^

Back in 2001 or so I had a shop (computers) and another unit/store in a business centre, where the bin collections etc were private and included in the rent. I was repeatedly chased for moving cardboard boxes from the shop, where I would have to pay the council extra for bin collections, to the unit where I didn't. In the end the council legal department stopped me doing it as moving boxes is 'unsafe' and I did not have the required waste transfer certificate to move it myself. In the end, I had to buy a roll of bin bags from the council's private bin collectors (which included the collection fees) for £240 !!

More recently, when I had a café, the council hassled the living daylights out of me about waste oil disposal, which was actually done by another branch of the bloody council who have a waste oil recycling plant (to make biofuel) to run council vehicles on. They came in nearly every two weeks to ask ho I disposed of waste oil and checked the box file of waste transfer certificates, despite the fact that there would only be one more than there was the last time he was in.

Also, just before I bought the café, the council told the previous owner to change the flooring in the take-away are to industrial non slip, then told me that the non slip stuff was difficult to clean and should be changed (but not compulsory, luckily) to smooth lino

Councils are generally just
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Highstreet shops are so last millenium.
                  Out of town malls are the way to go
                  They're the way it's gone but they're soulless, boring and tiring. Walking down the high-street, stopping for a coffee - even at a chain like Nero - and continuing on is rather nice. Visiting the "food court" (what a depressing phrase in itself) is just misery. It's got the ambience of visiting an airport and nobody does that for fun!
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Why has this not happened before across the country?

I really do not understand why business rates have not been dramatically cut in areas with large amounts of empty premises.

Rochdale proposes to cut business rates by up to 80% | News | Drapers

BBC News - High Street: Portas criticises government over 'token gestures'
                    As it gives the opportunity for the landlord to increase rents
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      As it gives the opportunity for the landlord to increase rents
                      If I charged market rates for the office rooms I rent out, nobody would rent them. Instead I charge half the market rate. And my rates...stay the same because they are based on the maximum rent possible, not what I am actually charging. And if I leave the place empty I get charged empty rates. Lovely..a economic downturn and I'm screwed and the govt. could give a rats ass.

Nevermind the utility companies charging about £1/day each as a standing charge.
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X