• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland - anyone been? Tips?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you go to the blue lagoon do not put your hair in the water. It will ruin it for weeks.
    But if he washes his hair before he goes, the water will be fine won't it?

Comment

I went. Loved it, but think 2 weeks might be pushing it.

Fell flat on my arse trying to get up close and personal with the viking ship - the base is slippy!
      Last edited by mudskipper; 8 December 2014, 14:06.

Comment

Sounds amazing. If you're really trying to cover the whole place 2 weeks should be wonderful.

The aurora has to be on your list but with that amount of time and a car you should be easily able to find somewhere isolated for a good show.

Where were the hot springs in the famous Michael Palin trip, where he pretends to be grabbed by a monster?

Also - have you watched Secret Life of Walter Mitty? That reminded us how much we want to visit sometime, it just looks stunning.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          The aurora has to be on your list but with that amount of time and a car you should be easily able to find somewhere isolated for a good show.
          The only Aurora you will be able to see in June is in Antarctica

Two weeks is just enough for the ringroad and a few side trips. To see it all you will need 4 weeks

Comment

Did a three day trip a few months after Eijakofoaldslasfllflsaflul calmed down. Did a day trip private tour to the Eijak(etc.) glacier. My daughters are going there this summer for a ten day walking trek.

I seem to recall that Humarhusið was quite a good place for dinner.

I found the place quite reasonably priced, since I live in Switzerland.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              The only Aurora you will be able to see in June is in Antarctica

Two weeks is just enough for the ringroad and a few side trips. To see it all you will need 4 weeks
              Oops, I missed it was in June.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It depends what you are into really. So many spectacular sites to see, do you like hiking or helicopter rides? But be warned, do make a plan B as weather can be heavenly there in the summer or just dull and grey.
                You will definitely need a car there as public transport isn't really thought out very well and be prepared for a bit of a wild west traffic culture.

Inside the Volcano, Iceland Volcano Tour | InsideTheVolcano.com

Iceland tourism and travel guide

** edit **
                The restaurants there tend to serve very fresh food and there are many to choose from. You might feel a bit short changed if buying table wine though.
                Last edited by zazou; 8 December 2014, 20:40.

Comment

After about 3 days of burning £500 a day on the basics you will have seen it all. Try a Sheep's head

Comment

Remember to try out their national dish.

Hákarl will make a man out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      .. I found the place quite reasonably priced, since I live in Switzerland.

For years I've been meaning to spend a couple of weeks there over Christmas, when I've heard it's really good. But while the aged Ps are still around it seems better to spend Christmas day with the family, as I don't see them very often during the rest of the year.

Also, does it seriously cost £500 a day for the basics, or was that comic hyperbole?!
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X