• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Iceland - anyone been? Tips?"

Collapse

• SarahL2012
    replied
    Been twice - first time in backpacker mode when I filled up the rucksack with packet tuna (the ones that look at bit like cat food) & crackers. It kept the food cost down and I didn't touch a drop of alcohol all week - would have blown the budget!

Second time was last year where we drove from Reykjavik to Akureyri & then flew back to Keflavik airport from there. Fantastic trip - we even saw a blue whale. Skaftafell NP is unmissable and the hotel there served us a fabulous meal in the evening. In fact the food was great all the way round, but it is pricey. Every night was special occasion prices really.

Just trawled through the emails to find the itinerary. This little guesthouse was great - Guesthouse Egilsstodum in Egilsstadir - but most of the rest of the time the company we used just booked us into big touristy places. Personally I would have preferred most guesthouse / B&B. Would probably have been cheaper as well!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

For years I've been meaning to spend a couple of weeks there over Christmas, when I've heard it's really good. But while the aged Ps are still around it seems better to spend Christmas day with the family, as I don't see them very often during the rest of the year.

Also, does it seriously cost £500 a day for the basics, or was that comic hyperbole?!
    About £500 per day is about right. I did a trip to NY via Iceland and stated 6 nights and cost close to that.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

For years I've been meaning to spend a couple of weeks there over Christmas, when I've heard it's really good. But while the aged Ps are still around it seems better to spend Christmas day with the family, as I don't see them very often during the rest of the year.

Also, does it seriously cost £500 a day for the basics, or was that comic hyperbole?!
    Depends how much alcohol you include in the basics.

I didn't find it overly expensive when I went.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    .. I found the place quite reasonably priced, since I live in Switzerland.

Leave a comment:

• NickyBoy
    replied
    Remember to try out their national dish.

Hákarl will make a man out of you.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    After about 3 days of burning £500 a day on the basics you will have seen it all. Try a Sheep's head

Leave a comment:

• zazou
    replied
    It depends what you are into really. So many spectacular sites to see, do you like hiking or helicopter rides? But be warned, do make a plan B as weather can be heavenly there in the summer or just dull and grey.
    You will definitely need a car there as public transport isn't really thought out very well and be prepared for a bit of a wild west traffic culture.

Inside the Volcano, Iceland Volcano Tour | InsideTheVolcano.com

Iceland tourism and travel guide

** edit **
    The restaurants there tend to serve very fresh food and there are many to choose from. You might feel a bit short changed if buying table wine though.
    Last edited by zazou; 8 December 2014, 20:40.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    The only Aurora you will be able to see in June is in Antarctica

Two weeks is just enough for the ringroad and a few side trips. To see it all you will need 4 weeks
    Oops, I missed it was in June.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Did a three day trip a few months after Eijakofoaldslasfllflsaflul calmed down. Did a day trip private tour to the Eijak(etc.) glacier. My daughters are going there this summer for a ten day walking trek.

I seem to recall that Humarhusið was quite a good place for dinner.

I found the place quite reasonably priced, since I live in Switzerland.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The aurora has to be on your list but with that amount of time and a car you should be easily able to find somewhere isolated for a good show.
    The only Aurora you will be able to see in June is in Antarctica

Two weeks is just enough for the ringroad and a few side trips. To see it all you will need 4 weeks

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Sounds amazing. If you're really trying to cover the whole place 2 weeks should be wonderful.

The aurora has to be on your list but with that amount of time and a car you should be easily able to find somewhere isolated for a good show.

Where were the hot springs in the famous Michael Palin trip, where he pretends to be grabbed by a monster?

Also - have you watched Secret Life of Walter Mitty? That reminded us how much we want to visit sometime, it just looks stunning.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I went. Loved it, but think 2 weeks might be pushing it.

Fell flat on my arse trying to get up close and personal with the viking ship - the base is slippy!
    Last edited by mudskipper; 8 December 2014, 14:06.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you go to the blue lagoon do not put your hair in the water. It will ruin it for weeks.
    But if he washes his hair before he goes, the water will be fine won't it?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If you go to the blue lagoon do not put your hair in the water. It will ruin it for weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Been there twice, it's fantastic, but extremely expensive.
    I went camping on both trips which will save you a lot of money.
    If you take your own car it may be cheaper than renting (not sure if the Denmark-Faroes-Iceland ferry still stops at Shetland, but there are shipping firms like Eimskip who also take private cars.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X