• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should the UK hungry be helped?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Move home without any money or a car?
    See, that one comment illustrates the reason why this country is in the mess it's in.

Yes, move house without a car. For God's sake, man.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
      See, that one comment illustrates the reason why this country is in the mess it's in.

Yes, move house without a car. For God's sake, man.
      How do you move without any money?

Even if you don't have a car and can fit all your stuff into a couple of suitcases, how are you going to pay for the transport?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Even if you don't have a car and can fit all your stuff into a couple of suitcases, how are you going to pay for the transport?
        But strangely in the good/bad old days many people would manage to move to where the work was, why is it so difficult today?

I remember watching a documentary on the Hoover Dam, and as soon as they announced it thousands of people turned up hoping for jobs. Unfortunately construction didn't start for another year, and those people had a pretty miserable time trying to survive in what was essentially desert. Not good, but shows the lengths some people will go to.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Well, let's all just shoot ourselves then, eh?

Nobody has NO money. Not in the UK. That is a fact. If we keep making allowances for people like this, then they'll take them.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            But strangely in the good/bad old days many people would manage to move to where the work was, why is it so difficult today?

I remember watching a documentary on the Hoover Dam, and as soon as they announced it thousands of people turned up hoping for jobs. Unfortunately construction didn't start for another year, and those people had a pretty miserable time trying to survive in what was essentially desert. Not good, but shows the lengths some people will go to.
            People do move today for jobs.

For example migrants from Poland, Bulgaria and Romania. However I don't want have to keep stepping over people sleeping on the street.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It isn't as simple as it sounds.

Moving for a low paid, insecure job isn't practical. Landlords charge huge deposits (which you unlikely to get all back). Moving itself costs money. If you've got school age children, you're likely to need new uniforms and all that stuff, even ignoring the disruption to education etc.

Worth it for a well paid job, or a job that's likely to see you through the next 10 years, but not for something that's probably not going to pay the bills and likely to see you repeating the process in another 6 months.

That's the difference between jobs in the 'old days' and jobs today.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

People who moved for work slowly dying in a desert isn't really a 'pro moving' argument.
                Last edited by NickyBoy; 8 December 2014, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  In my village they run one bus a day out and one bus a day in ...

So you think I should toughen up and sleep rough a couple of nights a week? Or just buy a car?

If I choose to in the African Savannah should I give up my private jet to fly into London every day?

Move house or change job!! I thought England was connected, there's more buses going in and out Western Isle to the mainland on a daily basis.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    If I choose to in the African Savannah should I give up my private jet to fly into London every day?
                    If you happen into poverty to be born in the African Savannah to a family who have lived in the same area for generations, you're going to move to London how?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      If you happen into poverty to be born in the African Savannah to a family who have lived in the same area for generations, you're going to move to London how?
                      Because being born in Africa = poverty.

Bob is that you?
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X