• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should the UK hungry be helped?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I live outside of a major city, but within an easy walk of a town centre, train station, bus station, couple of supermarkets etc. etc.
    I used to commute to Cardiff for a long time, the bus took 45 minutes in the morning to get to the office and then 1hr 45mins to get back in the evening, add to this it was only once an hour and the distance was about 10 miles. The journey was just over 20 mins by car and it wasn't commutable by train, I wasn't the happiest chappy when I had to use public transport
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      What's the length of the journey got to do with anything? I used to live in argyll & bute, was dependent on buses. Yes a car was quicker but I could not afford one. I just had to plan my time. Privilege gone mad.
      I lived on the main bus route when I got my first job, since buying a car seemed a luxury. Despite that, I couldn't rely on getting to work on time.

While convenience isn't a right, leaving your kids 6am - 8am so you can get to a 9-5 job isn't very good, and possibly isn't even an option if you rely on child care.

Where I live, if you are in one of the smaller towns/villages you simply cannot get to many places you might want to work by 8-9am, because the first bus isn't early enough given how many changes you have to make, etc.

A car dramatically opens up the number of jobs you can apply for. It also means if you work shifts, you can work more hours per day so it might even work out better.

When you're unemployed, public transport is very expensive. I think those on benefits should get a free bus pass or be able to claim back travel to interviews, etc.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

FIL lives in a village in Exmoor. The nearest supermarket is Minehead. They used to have a village shop, but it's just closed, so there is nowhere to buy food within walking distance.

Out of curiosity I just had a look to see what the bus service was like - there's two buses a day to Minehead, and three buses back. The first bus out to Minehead arrives three minutes after the last bus back leaves.

So to do his shopping by bus, he'd need to book an overnight hotel.

Having said that, I don't think there's many poor people in his village

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I lived on the main bus route when I got my first job, since buying a car seemed a luxury. Despite that, I couldn't rely on getting to work on time.

While convenience isn't a right, leaving your kids 6am - 8am so you can get to a 9-5 job isn't very good, and possibly isn't even an option if you rely on child care.

Where I live, if you are in one of the smaller towns/villages you simply cannot get to many places you might want to work by 8-9am, because the first bus isn't early enough given how many changes you have to make, etc.

A car dramatically opens up the number of jobs you can apply for. It also means if you work shifts, you can work more hours per day so it might even work out better.

When you're unemployed, public transport is very expensive. I think those on benefits should get a free bus pass or be able to claim back travel to interviews, etc.
          Time to find an alternative employer.

Just because there's a job paying crazy rates on the dark side of the moon should not mean moving heaven and earth to get there.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The summary of all this is public transport in the UK is Scheiße?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Or an alternative home.

"It's difficult to get from A to B"

"Why do you work at B?"

"Because that's the only/ best job I can find"

"Fair enough. Why do you live at A?"

"Because my mum lives there and I've always lived there"

"Move"

Comment

Just because there's a job paying crazy rates on the dark side of the moon should not mean moving heaven and earth to get there.
                One thing that surprised me when I did sign on for 3 weeks last year was that they said they'd consider any job within a 90 minute commute as acceptable.

You can imagine how somebody who is used to only having to get up to switch on Bargain Hunt would feel about a 3 hour daily commute for minimum wage.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                  Or an alternative home.

"Why do you work at B?"

"Move"

Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    One thing that surprised me when I did sign on for 3 weeks last year was that they said they'd consider any job within a 90 minute commute as acceptable.

You can imagine how somebody who is used to only having to get up to switch on Bargain Hunt would feel about a 3 hour daily commute for minimum wage.
                    I should say welcome to the grind. We've all got to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                      Or an alternative home.

"Why do you work at B?"

"Move"
                      Move home without any money or a car?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi