• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alexander Mann!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any good agencies? I guess that's like asking are there any good politicians.

Comment

Part of the game for me and got to be good IR35 wise. Sounds like a lot of disguised employees on here. Yes, negotiate a better payment deal if possible, it used to be normal to get paid within 2-3 days of submitting invoice/timesheet at the end of the month. This has slipped in recent times. If it was a small agency I would be more worried about potential cash going missing.

Comment

Just been sent a draft contract and it now looks like payment is 30 days after receipt of invoice. I'm guessing that depending on when you catch end of the month it could be up to 60 days before you receive the first payment?

not so bad once you get going but for those people making the jump from permie it could put a strain on things

Comment

Bah, I agree with the disguised employee thing. Last year I did a direct contract and they wanted to pay on delivery. So, I worked for 6 months without payment and then invoiced. Finally, I waited 28 days to finally get paid. That's how businesses normally operate.

And this is what agencies are for - factoring invoices before the client has paid for the project. They stop you having to work for months without getting paid.

I agree that 7 weeks is a bit harsh for someone going from permie to contract, but then again it does seem like an awful lot of people want to earn more money but with none of the risk. Contractors are supposed to be self-employed. Anyone know any other trades where the business gets paid monthly by their clients? Thought not. In other words, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. 7 weeks is perfectly reasonable when taken into context with other self-employed people.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I had my obligatory two & a bit weeks leave over the Christmas period then the moment I return to the UK I get the flu, today is my first day back. I’m fine with this of course these things happen. So what there’s a month of earnings missing from the business account but who cares we prepare for these things don’t we? So when I hear this one month in arrears pay business is causing problems I think Mr you need to get your affairs in order!

For those of you that have affairs in order Kenya airways are doing a good deal on business class at the moment
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
              Let's just say I wonder how often AM get paid by the client.
              I wouldn't like to think they bank the money and hold on to the interest?

It's the same with these new rules on Holiday pay from Umbrellas (luckily mine doesn't do this)
              But I want all the money due, and as soon as possible
              Cap Gemini were paying AM weekly. I know because I worked on the system that made the payments.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
                Are there any good agencies? I guess that's like asking are there any good politicians.
                I've been impressed with Hays IT. Payment two or three days after I invoice them. No fuss, no mistakes. The way it should be.

Comment

My worst time was working for local govt. direct when I was freelancing - 90 days typical!

Comment

Working...
                  X