• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you're under 30, bad luck. You're screwed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    wages are bad when you get the same take home as someone on benefits working 16 hours a week selling the big issue unless you are middle management.
    Breakdown of data please. Otherwise you're as bad as MF (FLC) with his stats.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Nope sorry - I am not wrong. Uk wages are good. Any higher and we are non competitive. Fact.

Energy costs are high and this is a big outlay both for business and for employees. Then there is high rent and a monopoly property market.

Low energy costs, and housing costs and everyone would be richer (apart from the banks and multinational corps).
      I've worked in similarly expensive countries as the UK.

The governments' in those countries do not subsidise working people to the same extent as in the UK. However employers in those countries, such as large retailers, aren't allowed to give people zero hours contracts or refuse to give people more than 8 hours a week to avoid paying employers NI (or equivalent).

The reason why a sandwich company went to Hungary to advertise for workers on minimum wage is because they knew the UK government would pay the workers tax credits to bring their wages up to an amount they could live on in the UK.. If the UK government didn't do this then the sandwich firm would have to pay a higher wage to the workers for sandwiches that are consumed in the UK or place their factory in an area with higher unemployment. As the factory will be located in an area of the country where there is competition for workers so all factories pay higher than the minimum wage.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Nope sorry - I am not wrong. Uk wages are good. Any higher and we are non competitive. Fact.

Energy costs are high and this is a big outlay both for business and for employees. Then there is high rent and a monopoly property market.

Low energy costs, and housing costs and everyone would be richer (apart from the banks and multinational corps).

Nuclear is the only answer.
        Wages are rubbish Income inequality is offensive.

Infographic - Income Inequality in the UK | The Equality Trust

Energy isn't going down Crude is down to 2010 levels

5 Year Crude Oil Prices and Crude Oil Price Charts - InvestmentMine

The Price of Fuel - PetrolPrices.com

but Petrol is still 20p more than 2010.

wholesale Gas

Gas costs you THREE times what the energy firms pay | Daily Mail Online

There is nothing stopping prices dropping except greed and failure for the government to act.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I've worked in similarly expensive countries as the UK.

The governments' in those countries do not subsidise working people to the same extent as in the UK. However employers in those countries, such as large retailers, aren't allowed to give people zero hours contracts or refuse to give people more than 8 hours a week to avoid paying employers NI (or equivalent).

The reason why a sandwich company went to Hungary to advertise for workers on minimum wage is because they knew the UK government would pay the workers tax credits to bring their wages up to an amount they could live on in the UK.. If the UK government didn't do this then the sandwich firm would have to pay a higher wage to the workers for sandwiches that are consumed in the UK or place their factory in an area with higher unemployment. As the factory will be located in an area of the country where there is competition for workers so all factories pay higher than the minimum wage.

The whole tax credit thing is a nonsense I agree. But employers can't raise wages if it went because it would make us uncompetitive.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Breakdown of data please. Otherwise you're as bad as MF (FLC) with his stats.
            try Googling for Government imposes benefit cap or similar.

Sorry I don't have time to spoon feed you.

Comment

try Googling for Government imposes benefit cap or similar.

Sorry I don't have time to spoon feed you.
              But you do have time to post unsubstantiated 'facts'?

Supporting your arguments with the pertinent data is "spoon feeding" now?

Comment

But you do have time to post unsubstantiated 'facts'?

Supporting your arguments with the pertinent data is "spoon feeding" now?
                It has been repeatedly posted here and published in the national press and the data is also available from a number of reputable sources Then you wanting me to post the relevant facts every time you ask for it I do consider spoon feeding.

I did however mention a policy that was imposed to solve part of the problem and which has had a well documented success. So eat up.

If you have some information that proves you cannot get more on benefits especially if working part time (which removes a lot of the caps) than for working full time on a low wage please post it, I would like to see this information as it seems to be missing in the public domain.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  If you're under 30, bad luck. You're screwed

It's scarey for we mortgage-free 50+ year olds to think that lots of young people might soon cotton onto this and start getting cross.

But luckily, I imagine most of them are far too preoccupied with Facebook and suchlike nonsense to notice
                  They are campaigning on facebook and twitter - they seem to think it makes a difference. Much like the BN66 lot.

Comment

It has been repeatedly posted here and published in the national press and the data is also available from a number of reputable sources Then you wanting me to post the relevant facts every time you ask for it I do consider spoon feeding.
                    You're welcome to your opinion, however wrong it is. But the onus is ALWAYS on the one presenting the argument to provide the evidence, not for everyone to have to search for it. Similarly if someone wants to refute your argument, they have to provide their own evidence to back this up.

What DO they teach in schools these days...?

Comment

You're welcome to your opinion, however wrong it is. But the onus is ALWAYS on the one presenting the argument to provide the evidence, not for everyone to have to search for it. Similarly if someone wants to refute your argument, they have to provide their own evidence to back this up.

What DO they teach in schools these days...?
                      I have already proved my point, you just don't seem to be paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                      X