• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Testers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Really pessimistic. Programming/developing or whatever you want to call it, is a very rewarding and creative profession.
    Its not really a profession. The entry level is too low for that.

I reckon pick a technology, learn it, get a full time jnr role and within 3 years you could charge decent rates. Get into a niche even better.
    B0ll0cks. I wouldn't advise someone to turn down an Accounting grad scheme on the basis that they could go from zero programming knowledge to gigging in 3 years. It's unlikely they could get anything sustainable.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      If you are using programming as part of another skill set a scripting language such as python or javascript would be a better bet...
      Would being able to learn and use it provide an indication if I am cut out for that sort of work?

Comment

Originally posted by GlenSausio View Post
        Its not really a profession. The entry level is too low for that.

B0ll0cks. I wouldn't advise someone to turn down an Accounting grad scheme on the basis that they could go from zero programming knowledge to gigging in 3 years. It's unlikely they could get anything sustainable.
        I consider programming to be a profession, that's how I treat it.

Boll0cks, nice eh! Why not ask me to justify my statement instead of being a tit.

Comment

Anyone can plaster a wall, doesn't mean plasterer isn't a profession. Anyone can cook a meal, doesn't mean chef isn't a profession.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Boll0cks, nice eh! Why not ask me to justify my statement instead of being a tit.
            I think you are massaging your ego at the expense of zeroliability. You don't seriously believe an average joe can go from no knowledge to contracting in three years. That's very rare - and about the fastest it could be done. You want us to believe that's your calibre. That's the real point of your post.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Anyone can plaster a wall, doesn't mean plasterer isn't a profession. Anyone can cook a meal, doesn't mean chef isn't a profession.
              I beg to differ. Chefs are professional cooks. Anyone can cook, only professionals can chef. Cooks are not chefs.

Comment

Legally, programming (and other roles in the field such as business analysis) aren't professions. To be a profession, you need:
                • reservation of title. For instance, you must have certain qualifications to call yourself a medical surgeon. Everybody else is not allowed to call themselves a surgeon; and
                • reservation of function. A surgeon's work can only be carried out by a qualified surgeon. You can't perform surgery without certain qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
                  Legally, programming (and other roles in the field such as business analysis) aren't professions. To be a profession, you need:
                  • reservation of title. For instance, you must have certain qualifications to call yourself a medical surgeon. Everybody else is not allowed to call themselves a surgeon; and
                  • reservation of function. A surgeon's work can only be carried out by a qualified surgeon. You can't perform surgery without certain qualifications.
                  i.e. a closed shop so we can charge £250 an hour .

I'd like it to be treated as a more of a profession level with say accountancy or lawyers, though that would mean the pace of development might slow.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenSausio View Post
                    I think you are massaging your ego at the expense of zeroliability. You don't seriously believe an average joe can go from no knowledge to contracting in three years. That's very rare - and about the fastest it could be done. You want us to believe that's your calibre. That's the real point of your post.
                    Amazing, you have read me like a book.

Though I didn't consider myself a programmer until I was 28 and I started when I was 20.

However, with modern resources like Pluralsight, stackoverflow the amount of books out there I don't see any reason why you can't get to a competent standard within 3 years - assuming your doing it on a day to day basis.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I did do a quick search for the definition of profession, quite a few out there. For me if you train, learn skills, treat it as a career and get paid it's a profession.

Comment

Working...
                      X