• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotdesks and clientco offices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    The clients I've worked with would have needed an electrical inspection before allowing a new plug socket to be plugged in - particularly if you are plugging a 2/4 gang into an existing 4 gang.
    Well yes, if they knew about it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The clients I've worked with would have needed an electrical inspection before allowing a new plug socket to be plugged in - particularly if you are plugging a 2/4 gang into an existing 4 gang.

That said, how old is your mobile phone if you can't charge it from a USB socket on your laptop?
      Phone is a modern Android. I'm not allowed to use my own laptop on the network so I have one of theirs and they dont allow me to plug devices into USB sockets. Also USB from PC never charges very fast compared with a proper charger.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        Phone is a modern Android. I'm not allowed to use my own laptop on the network so I have one of theirs and they dont allow me to plug devices into USB sockets. Also USB from PC never charges very fast compared with a proper charger.
        By don't allow do you mean they disabled it, or they told you not to? If the former it might still charge without being seen as a device. In fact you can probably by a USB charge-only cable?
        Charging slowly doesn't matter if you plug it in all day, assuming you remember to charge it overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          You need one of these - Practical Meter | Power Practical

Tells you how fast the USB socket is charging, and their charge only cable gets a better speed than a normal one. And since it's a charge-only cable, it won't show up as a device on the computer so shouldn't be a problem.

Only downside is that it's a short cable.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You need one of these - Practical Meter | Power Practical

Tells you how fast the USB socket is charging, and their charge only cable gets a better speed than a normal one. And since it's a charge-only cable, it won't show up as a device on the computer so shouldn't be a problem.

Only downside is that it's a short cable.
            Cool thanks. I read something about USB cables for chargers being different to data cables by having two pins shorted out or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              we have hot desking - all was going fine until 1 department decided to triple in size without telling anyone and lo I come in and find there are no desks at all.

turned around and went home.
              The rest of the project team and I were assigned a bank of hot desks on day one of my last job - when I started getting in to find people using them all I got annoyed. Until I learnt to simply walk in, ask the PM to find me and desk and go and get breakfast and a coffee from over the road in the meantime.

Although I did come close to getting angry having sat down at 4 assigned desks where each time I was told "So and so is away today" and each time, they'd walk in 5 minutes later and kick me off.

I can deal with it as a temporary resource (especially on projects where I'm not full time), but I'm not sure I could put up working somewhere where everyone has a hot desk.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                By don't allow do you mean they disabled it, or they told you not to? If the former it might still charge without being seen as a device. In fact you can probably by a USB charge-only cable?
                Charging slowly doesn't matter if you plug it in all day, assuming you remember to charge it overnight!
                I've worked at more than 1 client where the instructions are clear - under no circumstances plug anything into USB ports other than the mouse and keyboard, this applies to USB's on monitors. Also applies to charge only cables.
                The sanction for failure to comply is quite severe and at one site (if not staff) would be instant removal from site if spotted.
                Your attitude wouldn't be welcomed in many secure sites.

Comment

Had to work in the kitchen for a few hours at a place the other year.

Luckily it was in trendy Clerkenwell, so the kitchen was a big room with massive comfy sofas, and had better wifi connectivity than much of the office

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    I've worked at more than 1 client where the instructions are clear - under no circumstances plug anything into USB ports other than the mouse and keyboard, this applies to USB's on monitors. Also applies to charge only cables.
                    The sanction for failure to comply is quite severe and at one site (if not staff) would be instant removal from site if spotted.
                    Your attitude wouldn't be welcomed in many secure sites.
                    Doogies attitude in general is pisspoor.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      Doogies attitude in general is pisspoor.
                      Coming from you that's basically a commendation.

You sit there with a dead laptop bleating about holiday requests and how you can't write up your requirements workshop minutes, I'll be getting some work done.

Comment

Working...
                      X