• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero Zero Society

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a student I was quite happy to do temp work, especially over the summer when it was typically covering for people taking holidays. If you start making it too difficult to employ anyone like this then all that happens is both sides lose out: the temps don't get the work and the company has to be short staffed.

It's crap for anyone having to work like this long term, but then there will always be crap jobs for people that can't do better for whatever reason. Better education, or just the economy doing generally better is what will make the difference. Bleating about it, or trying to legislate against it won't help anyone.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I agree - it just needs to be recognised that there are some jobs out there which are just jobs.

It is never going to be a career, there will not be promotion/career progression/training

So accept that and if you want a career find something you can do other than sell trainers to scallies.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I do not have a huge issue with the zero hours contracts if you are giving people a few hours notice they are not working so they do not need to spend money to get to the place of work.
        Easy to say when you are not working under a zero hour contract.

Comment

I do not have a huge issue with the zero hours contracts if you are giving people a few hours notice they are not working so they do not need to spend money to get to the place of work.

However sadly back in the day when I worked in recruitment if I wanted to guarantee 5 people would turn up for work I would have to send 6 or 7 as you can 100% guarantee that 1 or 2 would simply not bother getting out of bed.

All these people who offer zero hours contracts are covering their arses because the staff who are employed to turn up do not and so the shop is short staffed, customers get poor service and so no repeat business.

It would seem 1 is a defence against the other and I think people not bothering to get out of bed came before zero hours contracts (in the modern world!)

Two wrongs don't make a right. A wrong by a person in near poverty is not balanced by a rich multinational exploiting desperate workers.

If you had people not turning up then that was the Agency's problem, they should concentrate on those that are reliable and make sure they pay a premium for such people.

fairly good overview of why they are a bad idea.

BBC News - Zero-hours contracts: What is it like living on one?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Two wrongs don't make a right. A wrong by a person in near poverty is not balanced by a rich multinational exploiting desperate workers.

If you had people not turning up then that was the Agency's problem, they should concentrate on those that are reliable and make sure they pay a premium for such people.

fairly good overview of why they are a bad idea.

BBC News - Zero-hours contracts: What is it like living on one?
            Never worked in recruitment have you!

Where is dodgy when you need him?

The good people you find quickly get snapped up and offered full time work because they can be relied on to turn up when they say they will.

Not saying it right or wrong just commenting on my experiences of this sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              When I was a student I was quite happy to do temp work, especially over the summer when it was typically covering for people taking holidays. If you start making it too difficult to employ anyone like this then all that happens is both sides lose out: the temps don't get the work and the company has to be short staffed.

It's crap for anyone having to work like this long term, but then there will always be crap jobs for people that can't do better for whatever reason. Better education, or just the economy doing generally better is what will make the difference. Bleating about it, or trying to legislate against it won't help anyone.
              So what was different back in those days, before all the zero hours furore? I did temporary/holiday shift-work too around 2000 and quite a lot of people did shift-base work as their long-term job. So were they on identical zero-hours contracts and it's got more publicity, or has something changed? A permanent job where you work shifts seems fine to me, as does expecting that even if your job is crap your employer commits to a certain number of hours a week.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Never worked in recruitment have you!

Where is dodgy when you need him?

The good people you find quickly get snapped up and offered full time work because they can be relied on to turn up when they say they will.

Not saying it right or wrong just commenting on my experiences of this sort of thing.
                Actually I have its one of the family businesses and we retained a group of people that were reliable and made sure we got them work, but then we were 'reassuringly expensive'.

Some people like being temps and are willing to work with the agency to make themselves more reliable but they are rarer and need careful management, you also need to sell the benefits of your staff being 10-20% more expensive than the cheaper agencies.

Pile em high and sell them cheap is not the only business model.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  So what was different back in those days, before all the zero hours furore? I did temporary/holiday shift-work too around 2000 and quite a lot of people did shift-base work as their long-term job. So were they on identical zero-hours contracts and it's got more publicity, or has something changed? A permanent job where you work shifts seems fine to me, as does expecting that even if your job is crap your employer commits to a certain number of hours a week.
                  have a look at the links I posted.

this is happening at NMW level not contractor level, if you are paid £50 an hour and in demand then its not a real problem if a client messes you about, on NMW level its a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    have a look at the links I posted.

this is happening at NMW level not contractor level, if you are paid £50 an hour and in demand then its not a real problem if a client messes you about, on NMW level its a disaster.
                    That doesn't answer my question (unless I looked at the wrong link). I did shift work on NMW or similar during my holidays, as did others for whom it was a full-time job. Specifically I worked on a supermarket till.

My question is how that is different from today? Were the "career shelf stackers" who got handed their shifts each week in the same boat as today's zero-hours workers but without the catchy terminology, or were the rules different somehow for them 15, 20, 25 years ago? Not having done that work as a full-time job I have no idea.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      That doesn't answer my question (unless I looked at the wrong link). I did shift work on NMW or similar during my holidays, as did others for whom it was a full-time job. Specifically I worked on a supermarket till.

My question is how that is different from today? Were the "career shelf stackers" who got handed their shifts each week in the same boat as today's zero-hours workers but without the catchy terminology, or were the rules different somehow for them 15, 20, 25 years ago? Not having done that work as a full-time job I have no idea.
                      you were not guaranteed a minimum number of hours a week?

You were required to pay for your own uniform?

You had to pay for your own van leased from the employer at a premium?

etc.

its gone from a loose employment to a planned abuse of labour.

yes I worked as a temp in various restaurants but I got a 20-30% premium for being temp. Now you get NMW and your days messed up, you turn up for a planned shift and they send you home without pay..

Comment

Working...
                      X