• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you care ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<Devil's Advocate>
    So you're on a high rate and you're 3 months in to a 6 month contract but you're still not up to speed.
    You've got 15 years experience but you're making mistakes that even a PM can spot
    You're saying Yes to everything people ask for and then not delivering.
    </Devil's Advocate>

Comment

Originally posted by Rtdhpath View Post
      Yes, have you experience of working with Indian on shore teams ?

When I tried to slow down the (breakneck) pace of delivery, I was shamed, the PM compared me to the interim architect (better qualified, internal, not contract as I am) who steadied the ship before I took up the role. PM said the previous guy got up to speed in 14 days, which was a bit on the unfair side as I've never worked for these guys before and needed time to get inside a really massive solution architecture. Grr.
      PM: The other guy was better and got up to speed in 14 days
      You: Sounds like you'd better give him a call, then, here's my notice.

Simple
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

On second thoughts, has anyone seen Suity today?

Comment

would you rather be on the bench hoping for a contract or in a tulip contract?

seems to me they are lining you up as a scapegoat.

but as long as they are paying; turn up, do what they ask (within reasonable bounds of your contract terms) and then walk away at the end knowing more and feeling better off.

if they are not paying on time or are demanding beyond reasonable then hand your notice in and go do something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            On second thoughts, has anyone seen Suity today?

Comment

Indian software house
              These words would be enough for me to stay very far away from this role

Comment

Originally posted by Rtdhpath View Post
                I landed a good role after a protracted selection process (compared to what I have been used to as a contractor of 15 years).

The role is technical architect for an Indian software house who won a central govt project, I knew the role was going to be a challenge but the amount of work has swamped me and the team won't hold back and give me time to properly get up to speed. I've been there 3 months and each day you get pulled in all directions.

Now the team are starting to get very condescending, smirking, put downs, sarcasm etc when I get even the slightest thing wrong, and I'm taking it very personally as I take great pride in what I do,

Has anyone else been in a situation like this ? The rate I negotiated is high, but I'm starting to dread going in each day now, and is the money worth it ? I am saving a deposit so it's slightly tempting to stay put.

Any feedback appreciated.
                You need to do something to take your mind off it. A good end of day S&M session normally does the trick. Ask her to whip you with CAT 5 cables while shouting "you naughty contractor."
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Life's too short and another 3 months will feel like a long time, and after a nice Christmas break you'll have the dread of going back. I'd hand my notice in now.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                    would you rather be on the bench hoping for a contract or in a tulip contract?

seems to me they are lining you up as a scapegoat.

but as long as they are paying; turn up, do what they ask (within reasonable bounds of your contract terms) and then walk away at the end knowing more and feeling better off.

if they are not paying on time or are demanding beyond reasonable then hand your notice in and go do something else.
                    Hear what you are saying re: scapegoat. I've had this growing feeling that I'm their insurance policy the last couple of weeks. And my lead tech architect role is now bring 'managed' by a principle consultant who appears once every 2 weeks but is marginalising me by providing a escalation route to the development team, who are clearly worried that a) I have ideas that will increase their workload but deliver a standard methodological practice to the end client and b) that I will expose poorly written design documentation to the end client.

I'm looking for another contract by the way, but in the event I don't get one, will keep putting up with this tulip contract til end jan.

Comment

Working...
                    X