• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Would you care ?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would you care ?"

Collapse

• Rtdhpath
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    would you rather be on the bench hoping for a contract or in a tulip contract?

seems to me they are lining you up as a scapegoat.

but as long as they are paying; turn up, do what they ask (within reasonable bounds of your contract terms) and then walk away at the end knowing more and feeling better off.

if they are not paying on time or are demanding beyond reasonable then hand your notice in and go do something else.
    Hear what you are saying re: scapegoat. I've had this growing feeling that I'm their insurance policy the last couple of weeks. And my lead tech architect role is now bring 'managed' by a principle consultant who appears once every 2 weeks but is marginalising me by providing a escalation route to the development team, who are clearly worried that a) I have ideas that will increase their workload but deliver a standard methodological practice to the end client and b) that I will expose poorly written design documentation to the end client.

I'm looking for another contract by the way, but in the event I don't get one, will keep putting up with this tulip contract til end jan.

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    Life's too short and another 3 months will feel like a long time, and after a nice Christmas break you'll have the dread of going back. I'd hand my notice in now.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Rtdhpath View Post
    I landed a good role after a protracted selection process (compared to what I have been used to as a contractor of 15 years).

The role is technical architect for an Indian software house who won a central govt project, I knew the role was going to be a challenge but the amount of work has swamped me and the team won't hold back and give me time to properly get up to speed. I've been there 3 months and each day you get pulled in all directions.

Now the team are starting to get very condescending, smirking, put downs, sarcasm etc when I get even the slightest thing wrong, and I'm taking it very personally as I take great pride in what I do,

Has anyone else been in a situation like this ? The rate I negotiated is high, but I'm starting to dread going in each day now, and is the money worth it ? I am saving a deposit so it's slightly tempting to stay put.

Any feedback appreciated.
    You need to do something to take your mind off it. A good end of day S&M session normally does the trick. Ask her to whip you with CAT 5 cables while shouting "you naughty contractor."

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Indian software house
    These words would be enough for me to stay very far away from this role

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    On second thoughts, has anyone seen Suity today?

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    would you rather be on the bench hoping for a contract or in a tulip contract?

seems to me they are lining you up as a scapegoat.

but as long as they are paying; turn up, do what they ask (within reasonable bounds of your contract terms) and then walk away at the end knowing more and feeling better off.

if they are not paying on time or are demanding beyond reasonable then hand your notice in and go do something else.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    On second thoughts, has anyone seen Suity today?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Yes, have you experience of working with Indian on shore teams ?

When I tried to slow down the (breakneck) pace of delivery, I was shamed, the PM compared me to the interim architect (better qualified, internal, not contract as I am) who steadied the ship before I took up the role. PM said the previous guy got up to speed in 14 days, which was a bit on the unfair side as I've never worked for these guys before and needed time to get inside a really massive solution architecture. Grr.
    PM: The other guy was better and got up to speed in 14 days
    You: Sounds like you'd better give him a call, then, here's my notice.

Simple

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    <Devil's Advocate>
    So you're on a high rate and you're 3 months in to a 6 month contract but you're still not up to speed.
    You've got 15 years experience but you're making mistakes that even a PM can spot
    You're saying Yes to everything people ask for and then not delivering.
    </Devil's Advocate>

Leave a comment:

• Rtdhpath
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Learn to say "No".

You need to regain control over your workload. If they don't let you regain control of your workload then either suck it up or walk ( personally, I'd walk ).

You said it's for an Indian outsourcer ... guessing it's an Indian onshore team?
    Yes, have you experience of working with Indian on shore teams ?

When I tried to slow down the (breakneck) pace of delivery, I was shamed, the PM compared me to the interim architect (better qualified, internal, not contract as I am) who steadied the ship before I took up the role. PM said the previous guy got up to speed in 14 days, which was a bit on the unfair side as I've never worked for these guys before and needed time to get inside a really massive solution architecture. Grr.
    Last edited by Rtdhpath; 7 November 2014, 14:35.

Leave a comment:

• acnm
    replied
    OP I'm in a similar position.

I've taken the decision to stick at it until the end of the contract but do so knowing that every day may be a challenge. I have yet to see hardly an inkling of what I was contracted to do. I'm good at my job, I just wish they would let me do it to the best of my capability instead of throwing every piece of crap they come across at me.

Mine ends in 7 weeks. Happy to suck it up until then and take the cash. Not so keen on looking for a new role over the Xmas period though.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    but the amount of work has swamped me and the team won't hold back and give me time to properly get up to speed. I've been there 3 months and each day you get pulled in all directions.

Learn to say "No".

You need to regain control over your workload. If they don't let you regain control of your workload then either suck it up or walk ( personally, I'd walk ).

You said it's for an Indian outsourcer ... guessing it's an Indian onshore team?

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    End Jan 2015
    In that case, you're almost there already. Sit back, relax, do whatever they tell you to do each day (like they do to each other), and walk at the end of Jan.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    You need to pick out the people that are relevant to your situation and discuss positively how to get the job done,. This includes an "in your shell like" word with those who are tormenting you.

Leadership is required. Walking away will not help you or raise your esteem in everyone else's eyes.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    End Jan 2015
    Then that's maybe ten weeks of actual billing? To reach the milestone whereby you get your deposit?

As dreadful as things might seem at present I would keep plugging away. Focus on your goal. When you are away and onto something better with your house/car/helicopter (whatever your deposit is for) these badminds will still be there, bitching. Mock them internally for their petty mindedness. Take what you need from the next ten or so weeks and walk away.

Good luck. I had a spell in a similarish situation (the person I wanted off my back was South African, but apart from that it sounds strikingly similar).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X