• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you care ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    How long until the end of the contract?
    End Jan 2015

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Then again, you could ask yourself one question, "What would Zeity do?".
      It involves fava beans & a nice chianti

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        How much pride do you take in your own incompetence?
        Outsourced it to you years ago, so I'm ok on that score.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Outsourced it to you years ago, so I'm ok on that score.
          I can only dream of such levels of incompetence.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Rtdhpath View Post
            End Jan 2015
            Then that's maybe ten weeks of actual billing? To reach the milestone whereby you get your deposit?

As dreadful as things might seem at present I would keep plugging away. Focus on your goal. When you are away and onto something better with your house/car/helicopter (whatever your deposit is for) these badminds will still be there, bitching. Mock them internally for their petty mindedness. Take what you need from the next ten or so weeks and walk away.

Good luck. I had a spell in a similarish situation (the person I wanted off my back was South African, but apart from that it sounds strikingly similar).

Comment

You need to pick out the people that are relevant to your situation and discuss positively how to get the job done,. This includes an "in your shell like" word with those who are tormenting you.

Leadership is required. Walking away will not help you or raise your esteem in everyone else's eyes.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

End Jan 2015
                In that case, you're almost there already. Sit back, relax, do whatever they tell you to do each day (like they do to each other), and walk at the end of Jan.

Comment

but the amount of work has swamped me and the team won't hold back and give me time to properly get up to speed. I've been there 3 months and each day you get pulled in all directions.

Learn to say "No".

You need to regain control over your workload. If they don't let you regain control of your workload then either suck it up or walk ( personally, I'd walk ).

You said it's for an Indian outsourcer ... guessing it's an Indian onshore team?

Comment

OP I'm in a similar position.

I've taken the decision to stick at it until the end of the contract but do so knowing that every day may be a challenge. I have yet to see hardly an inkling of what I was contracted to do. I'm good at my job, I just wish they would let me do it to the best of my capability instead of throwing every piece of crap they come across at me.

Mine ends in 7 weeks. Happy to suck it up until then and take the cash. Not so keen on looking for a new role over the Xmas period though.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      Learn to say "No".

You need to regain control over your workload. If they don't let you regain control of your workload then either suck it up or walk ( personally, I'd walk ).

You said it's for an Indian outsourcer ... guessing it's an Indian onshore team?
                      Yes, have you experience of working with Indian on shore teams ?

When I tried to slow down the (breakneck) pace of delivery, I was shamed, the PM compared me to the interim architect (better qualified, internal, not contract as I am) who steadied the ship before I took up the role. PM said the previous guy got up to speed in 14 days, which was a bit on the unfair side as I've never worked for these guys before and needed time to get inside a really massive solution architecture. Grr.
                      Last edited by Rtdhpath; 7 November 2014, 14:35.

Comment

Working...
                      X