• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Imagine if Breaking Bad was set in Canada or the UK or Australia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Walt had insurance which covered his care costs. The rest was to generate enough money for the family to survive after he had died.

So it wouldn't make a major difference.
    In addition to this, it becomes pretty rapidly apparent that the money was secondary to Walt feeling powerful and in charge. Plus, of course, he was offered the money up front but his pride and ego got in the way.

Ultimately, why you may be able to argue the lack of state health care was a factor in some of the early decision making, Walt had ample opportunity to deal with it in much the same way any of us would have to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
      At least he'd avoid this monstrosity, though... unless he's in Waitrose's organic fruit section, that is.

I bet they now don't eat bananas and shop at a cheaper supermarket.....

BTW The RSPCA are showing they are useless yet again. They should have known a spider expert to call on even if they can't deal with it themselves.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        In addition to this, it becomes pretty rapidly apparent that the money was secondary to Walt feeling powerful and in charge. Plus, of course, he was offered the money up front but his pride and ego got in the way.

Ultimately, why you may be able to argue the lack of state health care was a factor in some of the early decision making, Walt had ample opportunity to deal with it in much the same way any of us would have to do so.
        Ultimately, the person who benefited the most was Hank.

(Spolier)
        Right up to the moment when he was killed.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You forgot the Postcode lottery.

If he lived in Wales forget it. If he lived elsewhere near a decent teaching hospital then they would be happy to experiment on him that's if his GP referred him in time.....
          So just like America then, where it depends which treatments and doctors his insurance would cover and which insurance clerk is allocated to his case. In the UK you would still get treated for lung cancer, even in Wales.

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          In addition to this, it becomes pretty rapidly apparent that the money was secondary to Walt feeling powerful and in charge.
          I think that developed afterwards, it wasn't a primary motivation.

Ultimately, the person who benefited the most was Hank.
          Not really. Virtually everything that happened to him as a result of Walt was bad (spoiler: getting in trouble for beating Jesse, developing post-traumatic stress after being promoted to the task force for catching Tuco, getting shot in a revenge killing for Tuco and undergoing months of excruciating recovery, damaging his career and personal life with a personal obsession about catching Heisenberg, and of course getting killed)
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Not really. Virtually everything that happened to him as a result of Walt was bad (spoiler: getting in trouble for beating Jesse, developing post-traumatic stress after being promoted to the task force for catching Tuco, getting shot in a revenge killing for Tuco and undergoing months of excruciating recovery, damaging his career and personal life with a personal obsession about catching Heisenberg, and of course getting killed)
            Not everything bad that happened to him was Walt's fault. He did marry that whinny, self centred, shoplifting, purple wearing annoyance voluntarily.

Comment

Spolier
              If he was any good, he'd have gone after Tuco anyway, which then led to everything you describe up to the personal obsession about catching Heisenberg. Without Walt, I think he'd have got as far as the injury, but nothing after that.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Not this again.

Regarding the cartoon - not what you said yourself...

Get rid of the AMA, which deliberately restricts the number of new doctors that can train, and we'd be one step closer to being able to make any sensible kind of comparison between the US and 'anywhere else' with regards to medical care hinging on personal wealth. Until then it's a straw man in proxy of the typical unionist evils.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Not everything bad that happened to him was Walt's fault. He did marry that whinny, self centred, shoplifting, purple wearing annoyance voluntarily.
                  Yes but he liked her.

Spolier
                  If he was any good, he'd have gone after Tuco anyway, which then led to everything you describe up to the personal obsession about catching Heisenberg. Without Walt, I think he'd have got as far as the injury, but nothing after that.
                  Yes but:
                  He would've been going after Tuco with a team, rather than bump into him when looking for someone else. A bit like how the air-disaster was indirectly all Walt's fault too. In that situation Tuco may well not have gotten killed. Also, of course, the brothers were not allowed to attack DEA by the cartel until Fring intervened and set them up.

Comment

Yes but he liked her.

Yes but:
                    He would've been going after Tuco with a team, rather than bump into him when looking for someone else. A bit like how the air-disaster was indirectly all Walt's fault too. In that situation Tuco may well not have gotten killed. Also, of course, the brothers were not allowed to attack DEA by the cartel until Fring intervened and set them up.
                    Good point. I can't remember it in enough detail to be honest. Maybe that's the next series re-watch when I finish with Angel.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

We may be taking it too seriously

Comment

Working...
                      X