• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scots Property Tax: 10% above £250k

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyways this is just a badly thought through attack on the people they think never voted for independence.

More tax powers for Scotland will be a disaster, like them or not the UKs tax laws and rates have over time have been quite stable.

Wildly messing about with them for political motives will only create unrest and instability in the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Anyways this is just a badly thought through attack on the people they think never voted for independence.

More tax powers for Scotland will be a disaster, like them or not the UKs tax laws and rates have over time have been quite stable.

Wildly messing about with them for political motives will only create unrest and instability in the economy.
      More nonsense.

A lot of well-off people voted for Independence.

The Stamp Duty tax affected everyone including first time buyers. The new system takes them out of paying tax on starter homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
        More nonsense.

A lot of well-off people voted for Independence.

The Stamp Duty tax affected everyone including first time buyers. The new system takes them out of paying tax on starter homes.
        I am sure they did but the richer you got the less likely you were to vote for independence.

Oh and did you see all the news of the property deals that were concluded after the no vote. When I mentioned that there were clauses in offers in the run up you scoffed and called it scare mongering...

BBC News - Scottish referendum: Edinburgh Hotel sold for £25m following No vote

When it comes down to it my predictions and analysis on this sorry matter have been proven correct time after time.

Comment

I am sure they did but the richer you got the less likely you were to vote for independence.

Oh and did you see all the news of the property deals that were concluded after the no vote. When I mentioned that there were clauses in offers in the run up you scoffed and called it scare mongering...

BBC News - Scottish referendum: Edinburgh Hotel sold for £25m following No vote

When it comes down to it my predictions and analysis on this sorry matter have been proven correct time after time.
          I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else as I didn't comment on that. One example of a hotel hardly shows that was the case in the majority of deals though.

If someone can afford a house worth £1m then they will budget for the new tax and it will hardly break the bank.

This is much different to the English plan of a mansion tax as it will be levied on people who bought a house years ago to find out they are now in an affluent area with houses priced in the millions. They will be taxed on the worth of their house whereas the Scottish tax only applies to someone buying a house.

Comment

Well if there is no queue of people for hardly any houses why are they bothering putting the tax there?
            It's called Gesture Politics.

Comment

I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else as I didn't comment on that. One example of a hotel hardly shows that was the case in the majority of deals though.

If someone can afford a house worth £1m then they will budget for the new tax and it will hardly break the bank.

This is much different to the English plan of a mansion tax as it will be levied on people who bought a house years ago to find out they are now in an affluent area with houses priced in the millions. They will be taxed on the worth of their house whereas the Scottish tax only applies to someone buying a house.
              Nope it was you but I can't be added trawling through your mince to find the post.

It is not an insignificant hotel, I have stayed at it, probably the biggest on Edinburgh and at a reasonable standard as well. I personally know of 2 people who had referendum clauses attached to house sales.

I know nationalist politics is heavily devoted to ignorance, you offer no alternative yourself.

Comment

Nope it was you but I can't be added trawling through your mince to find the post.

It is not an insignificant hotel, I have stayed at it, probably the biggest on Edinburgh and at a reasonable standard as well. I personally know of 2 people who had referendum clauses attached to house sales.

I know nationalist politics is heavily devoted to ignorance, you offer no alternative yourself.
                I think this property tax is fair and progressive. You can't see that because you are a unionist who hates everything the SNP does. If Labour or the Tories came up with this idea you would be saying how great it was.

SNP membership has just gone over 80,000 and a rally in George Square on Sunday is expecting at least 6,000 people.

Comment

Anyway, since when has the mansion tax been an English plan? It is a fooked up plan by a desperate labour party who are on the same 'tax the rich' populist sheet as the SNP.

Comment

Anyway, since when has the mansion tax been an English plan? It is a fooked up plan by a desperate labour party who are on the same 'tax the rich' populist sheet as the SNP.
                    The LibDems are for a mansion tax as well. Is it not part of EVEL? The new tax is devolved to Scotland so a mansion tax is only for the regions of England.

Comment

I think this property tax is fair and progressive. You can't see that because you are a unionist who hates everything the SNP does. If Labour or the Tories came up with this idea you would be saying how great it was.

SNP membership has just gone over 80,000 and a rally in George Square on Sunday is expecting at least 6,000 people.
                      Well I am one of the 55 and will be playing the Xbox all Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                      X