• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many PCG/IPSe members on here? Read their website?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhino 888 View Post
    Just wondering how many people on here are PCG members, and have not kept up to speed with their manifesto?
    I suspect I'm a typical PCG member, joined as result of IR35, after a few years just paid my sub and let them get on with it.
    So, recently, bit slack at work, starting reading their website as a result of the name change.
    Had a look at their forum, village of the dead? it reminds me of a sailing club committee.

Do most people just pay up and ignore them?
    Or do we welcome the changes?

Am I just suffering from 20 years of contracting? Maybe.
    Just interested in different thoughts on the matter.
    Stands up; waves; sits back down again.

I'll come back with a better post once I've sobered up from a rather agreeable lunch with some other members (no sniggering at the back), and the PCG/IPSE Chairman. I'm not entirely convinced by PCG/IPSE's strategic direction - and I do wish that they'd stop fiddling with themselves, and actually do something of note - but one can't fault the value of their insurance package...
    For the time being.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      ...and I do wish that they'd stop fiddling with themselves, and actually do something of note...
      Oops; it looks like I posted too soon...
      This one has been a work in progress for ages: https://www.ipse.co.uk/news/2014/new...obs-introduced

Well done PCG.

Er, IPSE.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
        Oops; it looks like I posted too soon...
        This one has been a work in progress for ages: https://www.ipse.co.uk/news/2014/new...obs-introduced

Well done PCG.

Er, IPSE.
        Oh dear. why do I think that any code of practice that has a 'justifiable exception' clause with no prescription is a waste of time?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
          Oh dear. why do I think that any code of practice that has a 'justifiable exception' clause with no prescription is a waste of time?
          It's Politics, init; it's a bit like trying to nail custard to a wall. Let's be grateful for these baby steps.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino 888 View Post
            The reason I posted on here was the deathly quiet on the IPSe site, apart from some sort of management love-in.
            There's not really much point trying to have a discussion with other rank and file members if 90% of the traffic is from the committee.
            That'll be the major reworking of how IPSE is managed and how it connects with its membership, which was sent to all 22,000 members for their views (and there have been a few hundred responses to date...).

I'm a contractor of 20 years, but not lately working with any other contractors, not sure if I even know any other PCG members apart from a couple who have been involved with their internal politics (some years ago).
            So I wanted to know if I was wildly out of line with the alleged 20-odd thousand PCG members. A quick search found this place.
            TBH, their magazine has largely failed to get opened for the last few years, I've just paid and ignored them.
            I'm perhaps a little out of the mainstream, being an electronics hardware design bloke rather than strictly IT.

I'm a little nervous of losing the IR35 protection, but sufficiently disillusioned to consider risking it.

Cheers,
            It's rather more than IR35 protection these days, as others have said. Perhaps take another look at their main website?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I was essentially told by an IPSE board member that because I didn't post on their forums, I didn't have a right to comment about their activity.

Which was nice.
              Yes, I'm sure that the other >90% of their membership who don't post on the forum will be thrilled with that.

(And as they are trying to recruit non-techy freelancers into their ranks that non-posting membership percentage will only grow...)
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Yes, I'm sure that the other >90% of their membership who don't post on the forum will be thrilled with that.

(And as they are trying to recruit non-techy freelancers into their ranks that non-posting membership percentage will only grow...)
                Yes, my smile was irony because I remember the thread very well.

Comment

Yes, my smile was irony because I remember the thread very well.
                  As do I. On this occasion I actually agree with you.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    As do I. On this occasion I actually agree with you.
                    TY now go look again at my last post

Please.
                    Last edited by tractor; 7 October 2014, 17:50.

Comment

I think

[QUOTE]When advertising vacancies, clarify when security clearance is required and to what
                      level. Make clear that people with no security clearance will also be considered,
                      where appropriate./QUOTE]

would be a bigger concern....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X