• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebola outbreak: Nurse infected in Spain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    So now they are going to screen arrivals.

How will that stop infected persons exactly? A flight takes about 12 hours but the virus will not be detected until symptoms start, anything from 2-21 days after infection. They are also going to ask questions about whether people have been to dangerous areas or been in contact with infected people. Do they really imagine everyone coming all the way to the UK from that part of the world is going to tell the truth and jeopardise their chance of entry?

A pointless gesture so the government can claim they are doing something.
    How about just stopping all flights from West Africa?

You'd be killing a number of birds with one stone there

No more health tourism, dodgy Nigerian scammers etc...

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
      Different copper. Another linky.
      So because he's in a first world country he's going to be ethical all the time?

In the US police forces get up to no good like in the UK.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        So because he's in a first world country he's going to be ethical all the time?

In the US police forces get up to no good like in the UK.
        Poor bugger was just delivering a notice to them. I think saying that he then started to sniff the knickers of the lady of the house because all coppers must be bent is a bit much.

Comment

You can catch things by sneaking into houses and sniffing knickers? Damn!

Seriously, he could have been looking around. On the other hand he might just have touched something the bloke had touched or sneezed on and scratched his nose. Ebola does last for a few hours on surfaces and all the refs I find say infection by fairly casual contact is unlikely, not impossible.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 9 October 2014, 21:27.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Handful of UK Cases expected

BBC News - UK expects 'handful' of Ebola cases

The UK should expect a "handful" of Ebola cases in the coming months, the chief medical officer has said.

Defending airport screening, Dame Sally Davies said it was a "blunt instrument" but would save lives.
            So that's comforting.

Also from the bbc

BBC News - How are humans going to become extinct?

First the good news. Pandemics and natural disasters might cause colossal and catastrophic loss of life, but Dr Bostrom believes humanity would be likely to survive.

The femur of a dodo: An estimated 99% of all species that have existed have become extinct
            This is because as a species we've already outlasted many thousands of years of disease, famine, flood, predators, persecution, earthquakes and environmental change. So the odds remain in our favour.
            So basically even if she's wrong and there is a global pandemic, enough people will still be invoicing to repopulate the planet.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              BBC News - UK expects 'handful' of Ebola cases

So that's comforting.

Also from the bbc

BBC News - How are humans going to become extinct?

So basically even if she's wrong and there is a global pandemic, enough people will still be invoicing to repopulate the planet.
              In case you get put in charge of handling the Ebola process on your next gig, let us know, I'd like to leave the country.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                In case you get put in charge of handling the Ebola process on your next gig, let us know, I'd like to leave the country.
                I'd like you to leave the planet.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

If suity is involved in the response I image Mr Branson will be getting a lot of business from cukers

Comment

What planet are you on BTW?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Plenty of us wouldn't be upset to see the notification that you have.

Comment

Working...
                      X