• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maths query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    The answer is 0, unless you're trying to divide by 0.
    ROFL - I should pay more attention!!!
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

But the poor little 1 required to bring it up to exactly 1.0 recurring is wandering forever and never finding a home. Everywhere it looks for a place to stay it finds a nasty 9 that tells it "no room here, try next door". Really sad. Sniff.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
        This is incorrect. There is no answer because there is, in effect, no question. Asking: "what is x divided by zero?", is the same as "what is x divided by...?"

In practicle terms, it the same as asking someone: "how long is...?". You haven't finished the question so there is no answer (and it certainly isn't infinity).
        I think that these are just two sides of the same coin. The question does not make sense because the mathematical operation is impossible because even if you take 0 away from x an infinite amount of times it will never reduce to 0.

Comment

Are you guys still arguing?

This isn't a question that has a lay answer based on how you feel about numbers. Real numbers do not have nonzero infinitesimals, by definition of the real number system. The difference between 1 and 0.9r is an infinitesimal. If the real number system does not admit nonzero infinitesimals, then 1=0.9r, by definition.

Again, knock yourselves out:

0.999... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Are you guys still arguing?

This isn't a question that has a lay answer based on how you feel about numbers. Real numbers do not have nonzero infinitesimals, by definition of the real number system. The difference between 1 and 0.9r is an infinitesimal. If the real number system does not admit nonzero infinitesimals, then 1=0.9r, by definition.

Again, knock yourselves out:

0.999... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...
            You do realise that now we are talking about division by 0, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              You do realise that now we are talking about division by 0, right?
              I don't know what 99.9r% of you are talking about, but it's kinda funny.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                That's conjecture. Develop a theory and prove it.

There's no evidence that .999 to infinity will equal 1.
                It's conjecture that 3 thirds = 1? Or it's conjecture that .3 recurring is a third? Because that's easy to prove, in fact it is a proof.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  It's conjecture that 3 thirds = 1? Or it's conjecture that .3 recurring is a third? Because that's easy to prove, in fact it is a proof.
                  I use 9 and you bring in a 3. I can't work under those conditions.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Since you think 45% is a majority, we probably can't explain this to you.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                      0.999 recurring is an expression which is impossible to evaluate. The closest approximation which is possible to evaluate is 1. That doesn't mean they are the same. Is it as good as 1? yes. Is it equal to one? clearly not as it's impossible to evaluate.
                      It is not impossible to evaluate. It may be impossible to evaluate in a finite time by an iterative method, but that is not the same thing.

1/3 = 0.333...
                      3 * 1/3 = 1
                      3 * 0.333... = 0.999...

That has just evaluated it.

This is presuming that we are dealing with the Real Numbers. I could do you some other axiomatic systems if you like, with varying results.

Comment

Working...
                      X