• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Source for a mint £2k ultra book

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Makes sense to spec up an ultrabook to above £2k (VAT reclaim).

I'm looking for something mint. Fast, light weight, mega storage. And above all >£2k Essentially a MacBook on windows (and no, there is no way in putting that filth on my current MacBook)
    Here's one on the same subject...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...k-laptops.html

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Yes but even most developers don't want or need to do that (at the same time). That's an extreme use-case better suited to a suitcase-style laptop
      sorry just listing what was running on my machine and dev server. It is a suitcase style machine but cost just less than £2k list price a year ago.

I would put an SSD in it as well but you know what Corporates are like.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Thanks for posting a quote that basically backs up what I just said.

I'm aware it isn't restricted to a single item. It must be a single purchase of capital goods. All of the items in that example are capital goods. Accessories generally aren't capital goods so unless they are bought as part of an overall package, just buying lots of individual (non-capital) items to make the invoice total up to £2k doesn't qualify.

In the thread you linked to, Clare says pretty much exactly the same thing:

Which is what it seemed like you were suggesting when you said you could just buy £300 of bits and bobs to make up the invoice total.

But feel free to do whatever you think you can get away with if HMRC come poking.
        Claire only says consumables (e.g. printer ink) can't be classed as capital goods/assets. Nothing said about 'accessories' as such, nor on the HMRC link.

Looking at the HMRC link, I don't see why a docking station can't be a capital good/asset.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Love the idea of spending £1500 more than you need to so you can save a few per cent on the VAT.

It's a tool, you get the most cost effective one, not the shiniest.
          Quite. when I looked into doing something very similar recently, it was far cheaper over all to buy the items from several suppliers via Amazon, than go for one invoice through Dell , and then reclaim the VAT. YMMV, but going for the >£2k limit just to reclaim the VAT is a fool's errant.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            Quite. when I looked into doing something very similar recently, it was far cheaper over all to buy the items from several suppliers via Amazon, than go for one invoice through Dell , and then reclaim the VAT. YMMV, but going for the >£2k limit just to reclaim the VAT is a fool's errant.
            errand. Unless made by an errant fool. In which case it is an errant fool's errand.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              errand. Unless made by an errant fool. In which case it is an errant fool's errand.
              FFS.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I'd possibly look at something like this:-

MSI GT60 2OD-092UK Intel i7 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Scan.co.uk

And purchase additional memory to take it up to 32GB.

With the release of Haswell-E I'm going to build a workstation soon (cheaper in the long run than an OEM machine) for running VMs etc and my accountant confirmed that I could purchase all the necessary components and provided it was from the same supplier and invoice then it could be claimed back.

Comment

I'll invoice you £2k for a DIY computer if you tell me the bits you want, as long as I can buy them for £1000 or less.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X