• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deadlines don't exist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it help if we called them 'hard stops' instead?

Comment

I've got LOADs of them. None of them capable of being met.

It's life, innit? No point being stressed (or staying after 5pm) - I'll just do what I can and pack up my laptop at the end of the day.

They are welcome to terminate my contract if they don't like it...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
        originally from

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams
        English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)

</pedant>
        Yes. It's called "making a literary reference". Putting a footnote for the source would be rather pedantic outside of an academic environment.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If I might post an experience of such please thank you very much no alright then.

I was technical lead on project to deliver change to a suite of legacy applications. We were a dependency for a 16m SAP rollout. However, my project was not part of the SAP programme. Also from a different budget. We did not meet with the SAP team, and were not invited to their project planning meetings.

The reason, I know for fact, is that we were the patsie. Left outside in the cold to be hung from the highest yard arm as the excuse for the SAP delivery being late.

This is project politics. So our deadline was entirely arbitrary, based on another entirely arbitrary deadline set by the BOD to the SAP team. They called it a "drive to date" rather than a deadline. Also in meetings the senior exec had a "pet phrase of the week" so it seemed. One week it was "skin in the game". So every meeting they would drop the phrase in, no matter how clumsily or incorrectly. It was something of great amusement to me, and I have learned to smile, laugh, pee myself with hysterics internally while still waters run very very deep.

Now in this situation the temptation is to sit around and scoff at these ridiculous deadlines, just how idiotic the management are with their stupid "drive to dates" and buzzphrases. This is a valid thought process, but it must not end there.

At the time I was just back in work after a nervous breakdown, and when the technical lead left with a nervous breakdown (seriously) and I was asked to take over as tech lead I had to do some soul searching before accepting.

Then I decided to not only turn this project around, but also then turn it around in such a way that these SAP guys would be in the line of fire. They were shameless. Each meeting would start with "Ok to first order of business, who can we blame ..." then the eyes would swivel toward me and my project. More grist to the mill.

So the tactics were simple. Accept the deadline. Prioritise the work, estimate the work, find out what fits. So for each mini deadline, we were always on blob. Cover yer arse emails all in the drawer. Because one thing I do know is I nearly always see problems coming way before anyone else does. One day I think I may make a good PM.

In the end we called the tune, delivered on time and discovered some dependencies going back the other way and pointed them out in good time.

To be fair to them, they went live only 2 months late, which for a SAP programme is terrific. I learned a lot from them about "management reporting", and the art of "spin". It's ok so long as you don't get found out, and you're confident you can make up the lost ground.

The point is a date is just a date. It's nothing to loathe, or fear or moan about. It's just a string of numbers written down. If you learn how to use a deadline to your advantage you'll even start to love them, like Stockholm syndrome I suspect.

The greater problems arise when people or projects you depend on don't share your sense of urgency, through bad planning. Stakeholders that are only "dotted line" reporting to the board. These are the things to watch out for.

When in life you have great pain, is definately the time when you learn the most. Ever heard the expression "no pain no gain". The same is true for projects. The way to build a career is to think that if you work your nuts off and hit the deadline then you not only have a good reference, but a great story to tell for interviews to come.

Try and zoom out and see the bigger picture, and stop letting deadlines annoy you but rather see them as empowering.

HTH

PS The above is all true.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Since when is North 'up'?
            Depends on which direction your moral compass is pointing

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            What happens if I turn my map upside down, Contractoid? Hmmm?
            Um. You will see what colour the inside of the earth is?

Comment

There are often deadlines which if not met do have dire consequences.

However we do live in a world of Ego deadlines where Exec A says I want this in by point x for no other reason that i want this in by point x and it will stroke my ego to see people trying to achieve it and it will also stoke my inner spoilt child if I get the chance to shout at someone.

At the time nothing has been done on the project but there is already a constraining deadline made of nothing more than ego.

The classic (as we move towards Xmas) is the -- this must be done by Xmas...

A free pint to the first person with real evidence this has been said to them.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                There are often deadlines which if not met do have dire consequences.

However we do live in a world of Ego deadlines where Exec A says I want this in by point x for no other reason that i want this in by point x and it will stroke my ego to see people trying to achieve it and it will also stoke my inner spoilt child if I get the chance to shout at someone.

At the time nothing has been done on the project but there is already a constraining deadline made of nothing more than ego.

The classic (as we move towards Xmas) is the -- this must be done by Xmas...

A free pint to the first person with real evidence this has been said to them.
                I believe we are on the same page on this theme! I'm now one of the villagers pissed off with the boy crying wolf. If only deadlines were set for the right reasons then I would be more inclined to respect them and pull out all the stops to hit them. More often than not the scenario is as you described above where project teams get all their knickers in a twist about arbitrary ego dates. Total Pants.
                I

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
                  I believe we are on the same page on this theme! I'm now one of the villagers pissed off with the boy crying wolf. If only deadlines were set for the right reasons then I would be more inclined to respect them and pull out all the stops to hit them. More often than not the scenario is as you described above where project teams get all their knickers in a twist about arbitrary ego dates. Total Pants.
                  I
                  Maturity needed on aisle 4
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

If Project Management is worth anything it ought to be able to recognise that a deadline is never going to be met well in advance and force appropriate business decisions to allow for that. So a deadline should never be missed. It never works like that in practice though.

PermieCo seem to not only be free of deadlines, but don't have any kind of goal in mind of when the project might be finished. Nice in a way not to have pressure, but in reality I'm the sort of person that likes to deliver actually working things and find the sleepy approach a bit frustrating.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I agree you need aspirational delivery dates so as everyone has someothing to work towards.

However these should be set by the project team based on work required and resources available.

If that date is not good enough for execs then reduce work/increase resources.

however always remember that just because 1 woman can have 1 baby in 9 months it does not mean 9 women can have 1 baby in 1 month.

Comment

Working...
                      X