• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deadlines don't exist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    So deadlines do exist?
    If they don't, where's that whoooshing sound I keep hearing come from?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So deadlines do exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
        Fair enough. I'm talking about the sort of deadlines that are made up by guesswork (often completely unrealistic) and when not hit there is a completely over the top reaction and ridiculous blame game politics that destroys relationships.
        Have you missed a deadline by any chance.

Comment

So deadlines do exist?
          Yes they do but mostly not at work where ego maniacs make it all up to crack the whip and hit their own personal bonus targets.

A hostage negotiator talking to a kidnapper threatening to shoot their hostage by 4 o clock unless they get their demands. This is a Deadline.

In the film ”Armageddon” a team of 3rd generation oil extraction “rough necks” get taken by NASA to a huge Asteroid careering towards Earth at 25,000 miles per hour. If it hits Earth it will be destroyed and all Life will cease to exist. They must explode a nuclear bomb to split the asteroid in 2 and in so doing will save the earth. The catch is that this must be done by a point called “zero barrier” (cool sounding nonsense made up by the Producers so the viewers get it I admit). If they don’t, even if the Bomb Explodes and the Asteroid splits in 2, we all still die.

A Real Deadline.

This point in time occurred as the result of a chain of cataclysmic events in outer space, not by some greed obsessed human dickhead wanting to feather the old nest.

Comment

And it's only Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
              And it's only Tuesday.
              Quite. My angst levels at the moment have enough fuel to keep going to the end of the week at least.

Comment

I still have no clue what the point of this post was.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
                  Yes they do but mostly not at work where ego maniacs make it all up to crack the whip and hit their own personal bonus targets.

A hostage negotiator talking to a kidnapper threatening to shoot their hostage by 4 o clock unless they get their demands. This is a Deadline.

In the film ”Armageddon” a team of 3rd generation oil extraction “rough necks” get taken by NASA to a huge Asteroid careering towards Earth at 25,000 miles per hour. If it hits Earth it will be destroyed and all Life will cease to exist. They must explode a nuclear bomb to split the asteroid in 2 and in so doing will save the earth. The catch is that this must be done by a point called “zero barrier” (cool sounding nonsense made up by the Producers so the viewers get it I admit). If they don’t, even if the Bomb Explodes and the Asteroid splits in 2, we all still die.

A Real Deadline.

This point in time occurred as the result of a chain of cataclysmic events in outer space, not by some greed obsessed human dickhead wanting to feather the old nest.

Just so we're clear, you're using the film Armageddon as your Real Life example?

Cuckoo!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    If they don't, where's that whoooshing sound I keep hearing come from?
                    originally from

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams
                    English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)

</pedant>

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                      Just so we're clear, you're using the film Armageddon as your Real Life example?

Cuckoo!
                      Hyperbole is a useful tool in explaining new arguments to those who may be numbed by the conventional ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X