• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are You Ready To Become Obsolete?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Digital
    I'm being slightly off topic here, but what amazes me is the survival of the word 'Digital', e.g. Digital Marketing and Digital Business. Wasn't this term the big buzzword in the 70s and 80s? I imagine the red digits on an old Sinclair calculator. Given the rate at which marketing and buzzwords keep changing, I'd have thought it would have been thrown into the dustbin of history by now replaced by 'i' (iThings) or 'e' (e-things). In this case it is quite ironic that digital is associated with marketing.
    I have a digital watch. I think it's a pretty neat idea.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've got a wireless
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

He sounds like an ace bull shifter, picking up skills over a coffee. Yeah right

Comment

Everybody should do some of this.

Then perhaps we wouldn't have so many northerners whingeing about losing their jobs-for-life every time the tories try to rein in spending.

Comment

Most of the stuff in the article is common sense, but the best advice in the article IMO:

"Change jobs"

Whilst the worst advice for me is this gem:

"Tell your boss you want to spend two days a week doing an analytics project on the reach and effectiveness of your programs."

...Request 2 days per week not doing your actual job? Seriously??

Comment

I've seen this sort of thing before from ' opinion formers ' who've made the transition from producing something for a living to bull shifting for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                Yes, this should have finish off Digital.
                Ten years later, I had one of his company's PDP-11/34 computers in my home

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Ten years later, I had one of his company's PDP-11/34 computers in my home
                  Yeah but did you have a good reason for it being in your home?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    Most of the stuff in the article is common sense, but the best advice in the article IMO:

"Change jobs"

Whilst the worst advice for me is this gem:

"Tell your boss you want to spend two days a week doing an analytics project on the reach and effectiveness of your programs."

...Request 2 days per week not doing your actual job? Seriously??
                    When I worked in an "Agile" environment we were meant to spend 3 days between sprints not doing our jobs. It was meant to be training, or learning, or some such vague nonsense - maybe one of the "Agile" experts can explain. As we were being asked to do extra hours to get the project done at the time, I thought "sod that" and got on with the stuff from the next sprint and fudged the numbers to let the PM think he was in control.

True story.

Changing jobs is by far the best way to learn new stuff, though it hasn't really worked in my current one.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Changing jobs is probably the best way but clients want you for what you know not for what will be useful to you. Hence the usual thing with IT, it works best if you are an accomplished liar and bull shutter.

Comment

Working...
                      X