• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The rules of contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss
    I'm not talking about from an IR35 perspective, I am talking about mindset. Long term contractors act and think like permies.
    Indeed many do.

I'm working mostly from home so my commute is short and I can work when I want, but you've still got to be available in office hours to talk to the client, send files back and forth, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      Indeed many do.

I'm working mostly from home so my commute is short and I can work when I want, but you've still got to be available in office hours to talk to the client, send files back and forth, and so on.
      I managed to acheive that for a little while, but now have slipped back into doing pretty much full time hours with the permies. I see it as satisfying the customer requirements; my contract says I get paid for the full day if I do at least 4 hours, but the client isn't going to be happy with me if I only do 4 hours a day. I'm working on a project by myself that needs to be finished ASAP, so there's no justification for saying that there's no work for me on a particular day.

It always strikes me as an odd arrangement. I could do 12 hours days and get the project finished sooner, but as I'm paid per day there's no benefit to me doing that. If I was paid 6 months money even if I did the work in 3, I'd work all hours to get it done, the client would get the product sooner and I'd be better off too. Win win.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's about managing the relationship. If your builder is doing a long-term project for you and doesn't turn up one day without saying, you'd get a bit annoyed - I treat it the same way. You tell though, not ask.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
          It's about managing the relationship. If your builder is doing a long-term project for you and doesn't turn up one day without saying, you'd get a bit annoyed - I treat it the same way. You tell though, not ask.

Here we go again, it's either a plumber or a fecking builder!! FFS, apples and oranges. When was the last time you got paid cash in hand?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
          X