• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The rules of contracting"

Collapse

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    It's about managing the relationship. If your builder is doing a long-term project for you and doesn't turn up one day without saying, you'd get a bit annoyed - I treat it the same way. You tell though, not ask.

Here we go again, it's either a plumber or a fecking builder!! FFS, apples and oranges. When was the last time you got paid cash in hand?

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    It's about managing the relationship. If your builder is doing a long-term project for you and doesn't turn up one day without saying, you'd get a bit annoyed - I treat it the same way. You tell though, not ask.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Indeed many do.

I'm working mostly from home so my commute is short and I can work when I want, but you've still got to be available in office hours to talk to the client, send files back and forth, and so on.
    I managed to acheive that for a little while, but now have slipped back into doing pretty much full time hours with the permies. I see it as satisfying the customer requirements; my contract says I get paid for the full day if I do at least 4 hours, but the client isn't going to be happy with me if I only do 4 hours a day. I'm working on a project by myself that needs to be finished ASAP, so there's no justification for saying that there's no work for me on a particular day.

It always strikes me as an odd arrangement. I could do 12 hours days and get the project finished sooner, but as I'm paid per day there's no benefit to me doing that. If I was paid 6 months money even if I did the work in 3, I'd work all hours to get it done, the client would get the product sooner and I'd be better off too. Win win.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    I'm not talking about from an IR35 perspective, I am talking about mindset. Long term contractors act and think like permies.
    Indeed many do.

I'm working mostly from home so my commute is short and I can work when I want, but you've still got to be available in office hours to talk to the client, send files back and forth, and so on.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    cr*p!

Why do we insist on swallowing the tripe that comes out of New Labour and the Treasury.

I person who is at the same site for 18months is

a) either so good the client does not want to lose there services and they get repeat business

b) On a long term contract

Either way they never become an employee unless and until a court says otherwise.
    I'm not talking about from an IR35 perspective, I am talking about mindset. Long term contractors act and think like permies.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Bagpuss who is a Permie rule: If you have worked at 1 site > 18 months you are a Permie and should be treated with mistrust
    cr*p!

Why do we insist on swallowing the tripe that comes out of New Labour and the Treasury.

I person who is at the same site for 18months is

a) either so good the client does not want to lose there services and they get repeat business

b) On a long term contract

Either way they never become an employee unless and until a court says otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Yeah but you go where the money is

Leave a comment:

• weemster
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Pah if i left now how would i get my 8 hours in????

Still it's not so bad in First Class, free drinks, nibbles and a paper and a snakbox on Virgin trains
    Sounds good !!

Still I think I'd rather have my current gig which is five mins. walk

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied

Still it's not so bad in First Class, free drinks, nibbles and a paper and a snakbox on Virgin trains

first class is ok on the EuroStar.....more so when you pay and the client then pays you the ticket price...

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by weemster
    On your way home now then

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    As we are contractors, do any of you conform like a permie ? i.e. start at a set time, finish at a set time (perhaps 9-5) have to beg graciously for a day off etc ? or do you just come and go as you wish,
    I come and go as I please, if I want a long lunch then I'll take one, if I want a lie in then I'll take one.....my contract says 37.5 hours, but I'm on a daily rate, I'm valued for what I do, I can make up the time for bank holidays, etc....is that part of being a contractor???

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    He's letting you down.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    As we are contractors, do any of you conform like a permie ? i.e. start at a set time, finish at a set time (perhaps 9-5) have to beg graciously for a day off etc ? or do you just come and go as you wish,
    what sort of amateur post is this?

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Actually i have the joy of a 3 hour commute each way every day

Don't mistake Plan B and Plan C for my main income stream

Depressing ! with a capital D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X