• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The scare stories are going to increase every day up until next Thursday. All of them will be speculative guess work. I hope the Scots can see through this and cut the cord from this horrible union.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      It's an odd one this. If the banks move all RUK assests south of the border and finance their operations with savings and funds that are relevant to Scotland then the pool of available cash in Scotland to lend to Scottish mortgages will be reduced.
      Saw Nicola Sturgen asked this a few weeks ago. She said there would be no capital flight so it wouldn't be an issue.
      Doubt she'd give the same answer now that SLife have come out.

What a f***ing mess. Poliitcally and economically there will be no CU - which will means masses of pain for a long time. Winning a Yes vote by even 60% is not going to make the RUK roll over on that one........
      Last edited by jemb; 11 September 2014, 11:22. Reason: corrected my rant

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        There are lots of things that have to be split, will cause problems or the Scottish won't be able to participate.

For example the Scots won't be able to play the National Lottery or the Euromillions. They will have to set up their own lottery first then join the Euromillions.
        We lost a lot of the money raised by the Lotto to the London Olympics on the basis we would benefit from the games. Still to see it.

Losing the Lotto really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure Richard Branson will see an opportunity and start one up.

Comment

Hopefully the scare stories and desperate pleas will all have the opposite effect. Who knows, maybe Farage believes so, thus the scheduled visit. He has little to lose from Scotland leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
            The scare stories are going to increase every day up until next Thursday. All of them will be speculative guess work. I hope the Scots can see through this and cut the cord from this horrible union.
            The only scare stories is the terrifying blinkeredness of the Yes campaign who blindly assume that post a Yes vote they will get a CU. We won't.

Will you be voting?

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              Allegedly it would impact on Scottish athletes appearing in Rio 2016 Olympics in the event of a yes vote, poor timing I guess or poorly thought out. Funny you mentioned the lottery as at the moment it pays for their funding.
              Again, missing out on an olympic games is small beer compared to getting our independence. Athletes can run under the IOC banner in any case if we aren't recognised by them in time and only a small part of athletes funding comes from the lottery. Most of the big name athletes have sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
                It's an odd one this. If the banks move all RUK assests south of the border and finance their operations with savings and funds that are relevant to Scotland then the pool of available cash in Scotland to lend to Scottish mortgages will be reduced.
                Saw Nicola Sturgen asked this a few weeks ago. She said there would be no capital flight so it wouldn't be an issue.
                Doubt she'd give the same answer now that SLife have come out.

What a f***ing mess. Poliitcally and economically there will be no CU - which will means masses of pain for a long time. Winning a Yes vote by even 60% is not going to make the RUK roll over on that one........
                There will be a CU, its a bluff. I WOULD bet my house on that.

Comment

Saves you having to engage what little intellect you have in trying to deal with the problems - real or supposed.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Saves you having to engage what little intellect you have in trying to deal with the problems - real or supposed.
                    It's a miraculous coincidence all these stories appear one week before the vote.

Comment

It's a miraculous coincidence all these stories appear one week before the vote.
                      You actually think there is coincidence there?

Comment

Working...
                      X