• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Working Class' Labour does not exist anymore anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      'Working Class' Labour does not exist anymore anyway.
      I think Alan Johnson was about the last prominent one. Didn't like his politics but he was competent and likable enough.

Working class Labour exists at a local level, but the professionalisation of Parliamentary politics means the route is in think tanks and special advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I think Alan Johnson was about the last prominent one. Didn't like his politics but he was competent and likable enough.

Working class Labour exists at a local level, but the professionalisation of Parliamentary politics means the route is in think tanks and special advisers.
        i read recently that when it started out, the party was led by the cream of the working class, now it is led by the dregs of the middle class
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          i read recently that when it started out, the party was led by the cream of the working class, now it is led by the dregs of the middle class
          Unfortunately the organised working class was well and truly squashed in the '80s and New Labour in a ll its glory was one of the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

And Red Princes like Kinnock and Blairs kids

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
              And Red Princes like Kinnock and Blairs kids
              They're covered by dregs of the middles classes, I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                Some people here seem to think the EU will be happy to 'Fast track' Scotland in, I tried to tell them yesterday that the feeling in the EU is the exact opposite. .. spirit of the age is integration, not separation.
                You're wrong IMO.

In the spirit on integration and and to get fat membership fees from Scotland, the EU will fast-track them in, all the more so because it will piss off Westminster.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  You're wrong IMO.

In the spirit on integration and and to get fat membership fees from Scotland, the EU will fast-track them in, all the more so because it will piss off Westminster.
                  It's actually in Westminister's interests to have an iScotland in the EU with the Euro. However it's not in the interests of any country who is an EU member with a very strong separatist movement like Spain.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It's actually in Westminister's interests to have an iScotland in the EU with the Euro. However it's not in the interests of any country who is an EU member with a very strong separatist movement like Spain.
                    Agree. I also don't think the EU are too happy with this 'People taking control of their own destiny thing' They may fear it could encourage folks to start getting strange ideas(Like voting to leave the EU)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      There is also pressure from Italy and Belgium in this regard as well.

The Germans are worried about another basket case economy and will want strict fiscal rules agreed before Scotland is allowed in. The ECB will not accept Scotland if there is any reneging on debt and will also require considerable reserves to support sterlingisation.

The French, Italians etc. will also find it unacceptable for Scotland to keep the rebate.

We will get in, but it will be on the terms of several other members of the EU. It will not be quick.

Comment

Working...
                      X