• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    yes because my entire family back home have a lot to say on the matter. It's impossible not to be involved if I'm to remain in contact with them.

97% registered, my goodness.

Scottish independence: 97% register to vote in referendum | UK news | theguardian.com
    But you've mentioned threats from a larger population without clarifying what those threats are.

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
      to be honest - before we start something and smearing him unfairly his comments were a bit misjudged. He compared the South African post-apartheid election with the Independence election and said thosw queing up to vote were voting Yes.

Daft comparison but hyperbole - nothing malicious.
      He didn't compare the elections at all.

A lot of effort has gone in to get people on the voting roll that hadn't previously been on. This includes the homeless, etc. A lot of people still haven't registered due to the Poll Tax fearing that they would be targetted for not paying away back then.

His comments were to do with the long queues of people waiting to register and compared them to the queues of Africans queuing up to vote after apartheid ended. Both would be voting for the first time.

Maybe a bit of a stretch for him to compare the two but the unionist MSM made more out of it than there was. It is a big deal that these people are thinking of voting for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        So his words were:

People queuing up, and it was a long queue, in Dundee to register to vote.

It was almost reminiscent of the scenes in South Africa 20 years ago when people queued up to vote in the first free elections.
        A bit silly as it gives ammunition to his opponents who would twist his words, but really not a big deal, much as I despise the odious little liar.
        Originally posted by Batcher View Post
        He didn't compare the elections at all.

A lot of effort has gone in to get people on the voting roll that hadn't previously been on. This includes the homeless, etc. A lot of people still haven't registered due to the Poll Tax fearing that they would be targetted for not paying away back then.

His comments were to do with the long queues of people waiting to register and compared them to the queues of Africans queuing up to vote after apartheid ended. Both would be voting for the first time.

Maybe a bit of a stretch for him to compare the two but the unionist MSM made more out of it than there was. It is a big deal that these people are thinking of voting for the first time.
        KUATB

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          KUATB
          Sorry, I was typing as fast as I could

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            yes because my entire family back home have a lot to say on the matter.
            I am surprised they manage to get a word in edgeways
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I am surprised they manage to get a word in edgeways
              I've not spoken to my mother in 20 years. I don't like to interrupt.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm really not too bothered which way it goes but there is one thing that I find interesting:

About 97% of the adult population of Scotland, amounting to 4,285,323 people, have registered to vote in the independence referendum next week, making this the largest electorate the country has ever known for any election or referendum.
                You can see that this is an item very close to the Scottish people and I think it will be an interesting vote along with the outcome. Now imagine that for a general election
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I'm really not too bothered which way it goes but there is one thing that I find interesting:

You can see that this is an item very close to the Scottish people and I think it will be an interesting vote along with the outcome. Now imagine that for a general election
                  I think where we can all agree is that no matter what the result, the important thing is the ensuing bitterness and recriminations.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

or some political parties have done a Birmingham and collected all the postal votes to fill in.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      or some political parties have done a Birmingham and collected all the postal votes to fill in.
                      I thought that was Tower Hamlets. Maybe the UK should start getting UN election inspectors in
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X