• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Scottish independence would be a 'cataclysmic' shock for UK economy, warn global banks | Mail Online

It came as it emerged David Cameron has pleaded with business chiefs to publicly warn against Scottish independence.

The Prime Minister asked company bosses at a Downing Street drinks event last night to 'highlight the dangers of a Scottish exit in any way we can'.

Among those who attended last night’s reception at Number 10 included Sir Richard Broadbent, the chairman of Tesco and Baroness Brady, the West Ham United vice-chairman.

I wonder who paid for that wee party?

I would like to see David Cameron walking down Sauchihall Street trying to convince punters they should stay with the Eton elitists

As usual they will be in a closed room with their own supporters. Why not debate with Alex Salmond on the TV too?

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
      I wonder would Scottish based contractors still be liable to HMRC? Assuming it takes 18 months from next Thursday till independence day, then there's a full Tax year in the middle with the tax due the following year? What would happen? Is it time to relocate my LTD to the highlands?
      Tax? What's that?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Then perhaps iScotland could think about exposing Scottish children to this:

Child Soldiers International - United Kingdom
        WHS+ until you reach the dark side of the moon.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

This scaremongering is as silly as the YES camp's insistence that Scotland will get everything they want.

I suspect the reality would turn out somewhere in the middle:

- Scotland would adopt its own currency and peg to sterling, as CU is not wanted by anyone other than some wavering YES voters who are worried about financial stability and because sterlingisation is probably not compatible with EU membership
          - Scotland would join the CTA
          - Scotland would join the EU immediately on independence - Spain may play sill buggers but is under the cosh financially so the EU will lean on them, but there are some risks here
          - Scotland would take on its share of the debt - Otherwise it wouldn't get into the EU and the credit rating agencies would trash the country as a defaulter

Anything unreasonable about the above?
          It's a bit harder than that. It depends if they use Arcticle 48 (straightforward) or 49 (leave and re-enter) both require unanimity. Spain and Belgium (at the least) are unlikely to support the former and will have views on the latter.
          Throw in the German view that without a Central Bank or the Euro then entry would be difficult.
          Add in the general view that if Scotland reneges on its share of the debt it will be denied entry because its borrowing costs would be too high,

Finally, the subsidy. The Yes campaign insists that an independent Scotland would get a share of the subsidy rebate. Italy and France, amongst others, have said it would need to be renegotiated i.e. you're not getting it.

What p***ses me off about the SNP is they didn't line this stuff up before they announced the referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            I can spot a twat from a mile.
            Which is about as close to one as you'll ever get.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
              It's a bit harder than that. It depends if they use Arcticle 48 (straightforward) or 49 (leave and re-enter) both require unanimity. Spain and Belgium (at the least) are unlikely to support the former and will have views on the latter.
              Throw in the German view that without a Central Bank or the Euro then entry would be difficult.
              Add in the general view that if Scotland reneges on its share of the debt it will be denied entry because its borrowing costs would be too high,

Finally, the subsidy. The Yes campaign insists that an independent Scotland would get a share of the subsidy rebate. Italy and France, amongst others, have said it would need to be renegotiated i.e. you're not getting it.

What p***ses me off about the SNP is they didn't line this stuff up before they announced the referendum.
              There are risks, but I really think it will muddle through and Spain and possibly Belgium will be whipped into line. Once the CU / sterlingisation / renege on the debt silly buggers games stop.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                I wonder would Scottish based contractors still be liable to HMRC? Assuming it takes 18 months from next Thursday till independence day, then there's a full Tax year in the middle with the tax due the following year? What would happen? Is it time to relocate my LTD to the highlands?
                No tax for freelancer until the first £200k.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  No tax for freelancer until the first £200k.
                  So that's £10k sterling?

Comment

So that's £10k sterling?
                    Cheeky little monkey.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Cheeky little monkey.
                      That's a pony in sterling.

Comment

Working...
                      X