• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
    We did have a say; we elected those who misrepresent us.
    I say again, this is not a problem with the Union.
    MP's claiming expenses after expense, awarding themselves inflation busting pay rises. I'd say there is a massive problem. It does not serve well all but the few.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      And accept the Scotland's share of the debt in the process?
      Yep, you can't take assets and not take the debts. If we can't use the pound we aren't responsible for its debt. Do you think in a divorce the wife could claim the house and refuse the husband entry AND also expect them to pay the mortgage?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        And accept the Scotland's share of the debt in the process?
        There is no logical link between the two, because sterling is not an asset but a means of exchange. Scotland could of course make a sophist argument not to accept the debt, but what do you think the credit rating agencies would say? What do you think the EU would say when considering Scottish membership?

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
          Yep, you can't take assets and not take the debts. If we can't use the pound we aren't responsible for its debt. Do you think in a divorce the wife could claim the house and refuse the husband entry AND also expect them to pay the mortgage?
          Explain why sterling is an asset rather than a means of exchange. Alex Salmond drops pound shared 'asset' claim - Telegraph

The First Minister has said that he would refuse to accept a share of the UK’s national debt in divorce negotiations following a Yes vote unless the Chancellor dropped his opposition to a formal currency union.
          He and other SNP ministers have argued that Scotland would not take on its share of the UK’s liabilities unless its resources were also distributed fairly, including the pound.
          However, economists have said sterling is not an asset that can be divided between two countries as its value rests on the ability of UK taxpayers to stand behind it. A separate Scotland would no longer pay taxes to the UK Treasury.
          Mr Salmond stumbled during a phone-in on BBC Radio Scotland after being pressed by a caller to admit that the pound was not an asset but “a means of exchange”.
          The debt is not the debt 'of the pound' (as you suggest), but the debt of the state denominated in pounds. Do you get the difference?
          Last edited by Old Greg; 11 September 2014, 13:17.

Comment

Everyone knows the Mrs always comes better off. Ask Brillo.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              There is no logical link between the two, because sterling is not an asset but a means of exchange. Scotland could of course make a sophist argument not to accept the debt, but what do you think the credit rating agencies would say? What do you think the EU would say when considering Scottish membership?
              That's new to me, will phone my mortgage company and say this money you lent me is merely a means of exchange stop charging me interest.

Comment

How many times do people need to explain it to you.

A currency is not an asset it is a method of exchange..... It is not in Scotland's interest to use the same currency as a different country....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  T Scotland could of course make a sophist argument not to accept the debt, but what do you think the credit rating agencies would say?
                  Triple AAA here we come.

n a massive blow to the credibility of the No Campaign’s scaremongering, the credit rating agency Standard & Poor’s released a report yesterday, clearly stating that an independent Scotland would be an investment grade economy.
                  Independent Scotland could be AAA rated – Standard & Poors : Business for Scotland.

Comment

That's new to me, will phone my mortgage company and say this money you lent me is merely a means of exchange stop charging me interest.
                    Sterling is a means of exchange. 10 pounds sterling is money and can represent an asset or a debt.

Do you understand the difference between sterling as a currency and 10 pounds sterling?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      A currency is not an asset it is a method of exchange..... It is not in Scotland's interest to use the same currency as a different country....
                      You should tell that to EU countries. Cause for the majority it works rather well.

Comment

Working...
                      X