• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wot, no Dr Who thread?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hadn't watched Dr Who since the 80s until I went to stay with my brother recently and my nephew, who is a big Who fan, asked me to sit down and watch an episode with him.

So I did. It was one with Matt Smith. Unfortunately that über c**t James Corden was also in it and I had to leave the room before I stuck my boot through the screen.

I won't be watching again, which may sound silly, but once something has been polluted by association with that fat gobtulipe, I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Currently watching "The Three Doctors" on Horror+1.

Pertwee, Troughton, and Hartnell.

Classic stuff.

Plus the assistant who kept on showing her knickers.

A.k.A Joe Grant.

The one who got over familiar with a Dalek.
      Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek View Post
        Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
        ...inneresting

Comment

Plus the assistant who kept on showing her knickers.

A.k.A Joe Grant.
          Jockey Y fronts?

Jo. Perleeze!

Comment

A little like the curates egg.

Fed up of this new "doctor goes bonkers when he regenerates" that Moffat has brought in with the last two doctors - Tennant spent the day in bed FFS.

The section which was basically "I've made the decision to cast this guy as the doctor so give him a break" was even less subtle this time than the last time round, and I'm not in favour of including previous doctors in with new ones (unless it's a special like the Three Doctors, or Five Doctors, or the Day of the Doctor) - let the new guy get on with it rather than harping back to the old one.

The Matt Smith section didn't even fit with the episode when he regenerated - he regenerates because he's really, really old (dull), but he manages to call Clara when he's young again.

Quite liked the plot, though, and it could be good to see a much darker doctor. Hope that it won't just get to the end and I think "WTF was that whole series about?" which I've done each year since Moffat took over.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yup.

He's bought the farm.

Funny how all the Thals are tall & blonde.

Must be a radiation effect.
              There's some interesting posts on the Tardis Eruditorum blog about the early episodes and how the first time you see aliens the nice ones are pretty Aryan in their appearance. The next few episodes are incredibly "colonial" in their attitude to the Doctor exploring strange worlds
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Moffat is indeed an awful writer. That's why he's won an Emmy, several Baftas, a handful of Hugos... Just his luck that he's had good actors to save his execrable scripts.
                Whether he's good, bad or indifferent, the point is that he's fecking up Dr Who.

It's purpose isn't to deliver politically correct messages.

Comment

Schoolboy error. Before watching Dr Who switch cynicism levels to low, credulity to high, and PC filters to max.

tbh, the PC stuff distracts and is unnecessary. I don't particularly care about females from different species in a fantasy universe being married, or even mentioning it at prime time. But the "look at us, aren't we wonderful promoting gay marriage" is a bit earnest and preachy. If their intention is to further normalise homosexual relationships, they'd do it better by not drawing attention to it.

After this series, Moffat should stand down as head writer. I think he's getting tired. He should get on with Sherlock.

Having said that, he's still heaps better than Davies. Moffat writes essentially science fiction* based fairy tales. Davies writes soap opera.

* Read the short story that was the basis of "blink"
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Never seen inside before.
                    It looked bigger on the inside

Comment

Very dull. No cross-species girl on girl sex.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X