• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

America reaps what it sows, says preacher as British jihadists gloat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    You have to understand that at the time, Argentina was ruled by a military junta. You could no more negotiate or reason with them than you could Adolf himself.
    At the time, yes, but they had been requesting negotiations for a long time. Now it's run by a democratically elected idiot who reminds me of some kind of Latin American equivalent of Sarah Palin. However, she can perhaps be influenced positively, maybe via her somewhat more sensible husband.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Starting with the insults eh, tired of trying to string a sentence together that may form part of an argument.
      Well if you want to wilfully misunderstand something, I am not going to make the mistake of entering to a long laborious explanation.
      Act obtuse, people will think you are obtuse.

Comment

Rubbish. For me it IS about the rights of the Falkland Islanders to be British.
        For me it's about almost 1000 men dying. It's not unfortunate when that many people die, it wasn't an accident, it's perverse. Politics and political gain and control, that's what it's always about.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
          Well if you want to wilfully misunderstand something, I am not going to make the mistake of entering to a long laborious explanation.
          Act obtuse, people will think you are obtuse.
          I think there comes a time you have to accept someone has a different opinion and you can't argue the point any more. You are not an intelligent person, I can't change that as much as I would like to.

Comment

None of that matters if you decide not to send your fleet in the first place. Once you enter into a war things like this happen. War is unpredictable. Without the help from the US and some others we probably would not have won and many more men might have lost their lives.

There was a point where the sensible thing would be to negotiate, but fearing the damage to our reputation we entered into the war. People died. If you think it was for jolly ole Britain then you live in dream world.
            Sorry was that to me, Margaret Thatcher or General Galtieri?

I am sure if you had said it to Galtieri, he would have thought better of it and changed his mind, then none of it would have happened.

I may be in a dream world but you just have your eyes closed to the facts.

You cannot negotiate with a military junta, 30,000 Argentines tried and subsequently disappeared.

Comment

when you're dead you dont know you're dead. You dont feel any pain. Everyone else gets the pain.

It's the same when you are stupid.
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                Negotiate? So the Argentinians are sitting on the front lawn of Government House landing more men and weapons and you think they'll be willing to negotiate? The only thing they would be willing to negotiate would be how quickly they could clear the British citizens out and get the name of the islands changed in all the Atlases.
                Yes, I was talking about negotiating the safe passage of the islanders off the island. The alternative is to swap say 250 men's lives for 2k people to stay on the island.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  At the time, yes, but they had been requesting negotiations for a long time. Now it's run by a democratically elected idiot who reminds me of some kind of Latin American equivalent of Sarah Palin. However, she can perhaps be influenced positively, maybe via her somewhat more sensible husband.
                  I understand what you are saying. I don't believe that she runs the country anyway, she is a puppet.

However, she should be negotiating with the Islanders, not Cameron or the government or the UN, it's their homes and their nationality that is at stake but oh, they already voted and almost to a person, they voted to stay a British colony, under British rule. They have the right to self determination and it should be left at that. There are more pressing things for the UN to be doing like disarming the world and ridding it of dictators and terrorists.

Comment

Sorry was that to me, Margaret Thatcher or General Galtieri?
                    God, I really don't know what to say to that.

Comment

I think there comes a time you have to accept someone has a different opinion and you can't argue the point any more. You are not an intelligent person, I can't change that as much as I would like to.
                      Oooh.

Comment

Working...
                      X