• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's Dr. Evil, I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called "mister," thank you very much.
    If you were a Harley Street consultant in evil you would go back to being "Mister" again.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      I know the range is very low, it is non IT.

My mate said £32k, I would have said £40 and I am worth every penny.

Ho hum.
      Your 'mate' has just told them that he doesn't rate himself very highly. He's picked a number right in the middle, which tells them even he thinks is only average.

Comment

don't sell your self too cheap!
        If you can do Everything on the Job spec they asked for then go for the £36k
        If you can do Most of the Job spec then 34k
        If you have experience and are keen to learn then go for the 28k

Comment

Thing is, with a permie role there is more to it than salary. What's he looking for? Will this job open a lot more up, or is he just after out from his old place?

My last permie move had a payrise which was instantly negated by the cost of commute and the loss of benefits (Went from a corp to a 10 man company). But it was a great opportunity and I got a big payrise after proving myself for 6 months. Plus, that work lead me into the world of contracting in a position that I could no way have been in otherwise. I'd gotten myself stuck in the unfortunate world of propriety technology meaning my marketable technical skills didn't match up with the position that I was working at.

Given that he's not even interviewed yet, if he really wants the job he's probably pushing his luck by answering £40k or something. I agree he's probably sold himself a little short, there, though - you really don't want to make the first move in a salary negotiation like that.

Comment

I know the range is very low, it is non IT.

My mate said £32k, I would have said £40 and I am worth every penny.

Ho hum.
            You are worth every penny of £40 per a year? Are you sure?
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

What's he on currently? It shouldn't matter too much but if he's on £35k it looks different asking for £40k than if he's on £25k.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sorry guys not trying to be vague. I think he is on £32k currently. It is a low level brand management job for a fabric shop.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Sorry guys not trying to be vague. I think he is on £32k currently. It is a low level brand management job for a fabric shop.
                  Then why didn't he ask for more money?

There is no point changing jobs if you aren't going to make more money at the end of it. You may have stayed where you are.

He should have asked for the max and when they refused to give it to him he should have negotiated for extra holiday.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Then why didn't he ask for more money?

There is no point changing jobs if you aren't going to make more money at the end of it. You may have stayed where you are.

He should have asked for the max and when they refused to give it to him he should have negotiated for extra holiday.
                    I know, I know, I don't get it either. It makes no sense. Hates current job but even so, you surely ask for the max and take a punt.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X