• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which 3 cukkers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'm sure brown paper bags had a useful antiradiation capacity.

Why else would HMG have included the advice in "Protect & Survive"?

If a nuclear bomb goes off, lay on the floor.
    If you get a runny nose and your eyes itch, stab yourself in the leg with a combi-pen.
    If someone starts clanging their pots and pans together, get you gas mask on and shout "GAS GAS GAS!".

That was about as sophisticated as it got.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      Sooner or later the conversation would turn to repopulating the planet. Good call to ditch Suity in that case.
      Not so sure about that - With his four kids, he's well on the way already!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

That must have been the episode in Sharpe where Dan Hagman saved the chosen men from one of Bonaparte's nukes, using his trusty vinegar & brown paper.

Comment

Probably waxed paper bags were more for thermal protection, either from the initial blast or keeping warm in the subsequent days holed up in a shelter.

Here's an interesting looking Nuclear War Survival Skills ebook for Suity to obsess over, with a foreword by Edward Teller no less, the original Dr Strangelove himself
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 31 July 2014, 12:13.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Or in the case of a Zombie Apocalypse, just make sure you can run faster than anyone else you are with.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              If someone starts clanging their pots and pans together, get you gas mask on and shout "GAS GAS GAS!".

That was about as sophisticated as it got.
              I remember a former army serving relative telling me that was their drill when stationed in Germany too. The action on nuclear alert was the somewhat more parctical advice 'put your head between your legs, strain your neck as far forward as possible, and kiss your arse goodbye'.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                MF, in case we're chased by enemies and need to block their route with a large round object.
                DA, for his devious nature and associated low cunning skills.
                MS, in case I need a second opinion on correct apostrophe usage once the Internet has disappeared.
                EO - You need someone who can charm his way out of trouble and tell a good story
                DA - those references might come in handy come day, he's probably well connected
                Cojak - because she knows how to use a banhammer just like Thor
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

See, I knew zeity would prove useful.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Or in the case of a Zombie Apocalypse, just make sure you can run faster than anyone else you are with.
                    Rule:1

Comment

I agree with Cojak - she's resourceful, cheerful (when the banhammer isn't out) and knows how to make beer
                      Pondy - he usually makes me laugh
                      Troll - loads of people for the price of one
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X