• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is £700 for an off-the-peg suit a lot?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    About average for what I pay for an off the peg suit but that includes alterations made within a couple of hours so not quite take it off the rail and hit the checkout.
    Mine's taking a couple of weeks. I think they're just busy as there was some kind of sale on when I went in.

Got sleeves up a bit, legs set as they didn't have a hem already, jacket hem up about half an inch - maybe less, and some bit behind my head to be taken in due to square shoulders.

When you consider the work to make the alterations I guess it doesn't seem so steep. It's just that the website said bespoke started at 750, so 700 off the peg seemed a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      I remember paying £100 for a particularly hideous suit in 1978.

It was, of course, beige.
      hmm... I wasn't quite born then. And I remember a can of coke being 26p, so a hundred bucks sound alike a lot for a hideous suit

Comment

I remember paying £100 for a particularly hideous suit in 1978
        Don't remind me of the only suit I really loved, early 70s, dark purple with flares. What happened to you little suit? How could I have thrown you away?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Don't remind me of the only suit I really loved, early 70s, dark purple with flares.
          Was it velvet too?

Comment

boy it looks like the taste police have some cases from the 70's to reopen!

Comment

Very Roger Moore era Bond.

Maybe that's why his films were crap - i thought it was the rubbishy scripts and attempts at humour. Perhaps it was the beige suits all along.

Comment

That's nice Zeity

Got to admit, I can't think of any occasion where I'd wear something like that.

Reminds me a little of Michael Corleone in The Godfather Part II when he's in Havana.

Comment

I've got beige trousers on today.

They weren't 700 quid though.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    I've got beige trousers on today.

They weren't 700 quid though.
                    I've got beige pants on today. Well they are beige now, they weren't when I bought them. They weren't £700 either.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                      Very Roger Moore era Bond.

Maybe that's why his films were crap - i thought it was the rubbishy scripts and attempts at humour. Perhaps it was the beige suits all along.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X