• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    So with £90 per week travel (train down from the North and tube fare) and 4 nights accommodation, is £400 per day doable?
    Yes
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      When I tried to book there they wanted my passport, since I don't need it when I'm booking other hotels I declined.
      Stayed at the old street one a cpl of times, only ever been asked for ID when I got there to check in (like most places), photo driving licence has sufficed. Think they get a lot of Europeans staying hence the Passport request but can't see why they would need that for a UK bod? Also Tune hotels is nice, bit more expensive but bigger rooms.

Comment

The hassle involved in working in London is not worth £400 a day, you can get around that in most big cities in the UK.

Comment

I felt the Travel Lodge Wifi charge a con, you pay for 24 hours, but you won't be using it when your on client site, but the clock stil ticks down. You come back to hotel and you only have an hour or two left.

Days Inn is free, if there are any nearby.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

£400/day is around, say, £92,000 a year gross revenue.

If it is a longer term contract you might be better off trying to rent a room in a shared house, perhaps a short train ride away.

The rate is low for London - but the fact that you agreed to it shows your inexperience and that's what the client is paying only £400 for. But you have your feet in the door - and well done on getting a role there - so hopefully the only way is up from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              The hassle involved in working in London is not worth £400 a day, you can get around that in most big cities in the UK.
              +1, £450 a day is my minimum for the big smoke and that's only cause I can commute, if I had to stay over I would be asking for £500pd.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
                Hi

Could anyone advise me on whether I've quoted too low on a contract. It's based in London (Canary Wharf) and I quoted £400 per day. It will cost £90 per week in travel and will require accommodation for 4 nights which I'm hoping will be within walking distance. I'm working as a Ltd company.

First time I've worked in London and after looking at accommodation on the web I'm now wondering if it was enough and whether to renegotiate the day rate. Even the Contractor Accommodation Service were quoting over £100 per day and they are meant to get good contractor rates.

So with £90 per week travel (train down from the North and tube fare) and 4 nights accommodation, is £400 per day doable?

Andrew

Buy a decent van and convert it to a stealth campervan on company expenses. You will have an asset that your limited company can sell to you personally as a tax loss.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                X