• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Good, the Bad and the Ukulele

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good, the Bad and the Ukulele

My daughter will be starting year 3 in September (7 years old). At her school this means musical instruments are introduced. I'd been led to believe this would involve brass, but it seems not to be a rule and she has set her sights on a uke which she spotted in a shop window.

Reading the various threads i see here that

Originally posted by cojak
    You can get a tune out of a £20 Mahala
    Or is that a Mahalo?

Either way, there's tons on Ebay like here or here

And i've found advice from a non CUK source here. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily any more than i would want her discouraged by having a poor quality instrument. So my question is, given the threads on CUK are geared towards adult learners, is there anything specifically unsuitable for kids in the world of the uke, or is a standard 20 quid soprano Mahalo going to do the trick for her?

TIA

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    My daughter will be starting year 3 in September (7 years old). At her school this means musical instruments are introduced. I'd been led to believe this would involve brass, but it seems not to be a rule and she has set her sights on a uke which she spotted in a shop window.

Reading the various threads i see here that

Or is that a Mahalo?

Either way, there's tons on Ebay like here or here

And i've found advice from a non CUK source here. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily any more than i would want her discouraged by having a poor quality instrument. So my question is, given the threads on CUK are geared towards adult learners, is there anything specifically unsuitable for kids in the world of the uke, or is a standard 20 quid soprano Mahalo going to do the trick for her?

TIA
    That's the one (I don't own one but I've played a few).

I bought my niece a pink one along with the Steven Sproat book for children (which is actually better than the adult beginners book). http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starting-Uku.../dp/1847720498

Buy it - it will either be played constantly or sit in the wardrobe, not a big outlay either way.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh, but do buy her a tuner as well. Part of the pain of listening to a beginner is not having it tuned properly.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Oh, but do buy her a tuner as well. Part of the pain of listening to a beginner is not having it tuned properly
        Attempting (yet again) to master the guitar and found out yesterday you can get a good tuner app on mobile phones.

PS Got my old Hofner out of the attic and took it to get some minor repairs, found out it's worth at least 600 quid. Wahee!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Attempting (yet again) to master the guitar and found out yesterday you can get a good tuner app on mobile phones.
          Yep my daughter is adding the Guitar to her list of instruments and was recommended pitchlab...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Yep I use that a lot, but a tuner that you can fix to the neck of your uke/guitar is quicker and more accurate (you can't have too much background noise with the app).

Comment

Tuning electronically is bad, best to start tuning by ear from day one, you won't regret it, helps impart a feeling for tonality and intervals.

Comment

Thanks guys.

The expense isn't so much the issue as getting it right from the start! Good tuning tips too, i'm not musical so that's gonna help

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Tuning electronically is bad, best to start tuning by ear from day one, you won't regret it, helps impart a feeling for tonality and intervals.
                  Yes, I do that as well but I'd never get concert pitch unless I had an electronic C to start me off (I'm not blessed with perfect pitch, sadly).

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    Thanks guys.

The expense isn't so much the issue as getting it right from the start! Good tuning tips too, i'm not musical so that's gonna help
                    Get two, and learn with her.

Comment

Working...
                    X