• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apparently there is a public sector strike going on...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Did anyone notice that ?
    I didn't until some idiot facebook contact put up a "support the strikers" mindless meme.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Bankers disgust me. Lots of people disgust lots of other people. It's the rich fabric of life.

But they don't have to quit their job. They can go on strike. It's simple economics.
      Bankers can go on strike but consumers can always use another bank. Any bank or business that has workers that strike has to sort the problem out whether it be poor management or staff with an entitlement attitude. In the public sector there are no such consumer choices so staff can go on strike at will using their monopolistic position to balckmail consumers.

This is patently wrong.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Not really sure where my wife, who is only employed as company secretary for our company, fits into a discussion on how many hours a TA works.
        sorry from your strong support I thought Mrs F must be a TA. I apologise if she is a 'lady that lunches'.

yes I believe there are good teachers & TAs but there are also bloody awful ones, a salary of £10-20K is great when combined with the other benefits (long holidays, child friendly hours, preferential access to creche etc), compared to picking fruit/vegetables or working in Starbucks then its a good job.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thank God you're here to help us out with that one, Dodgy.
          It is good to see you back Old Git
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Once they cannot do the job they should move on. It happens to footballers
            you mean we have to pay firemen £30k a week?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Bankers can go on strike but consumers can always use another bank. Any bank or business that has workers that strike has to sort the problem out whether it be poor management or staff with an entitlement attitude. In the public sector there are no such consumer choices so staff can go on strike at will using their monopolistic position to balckmail consumers.

This is patently wrong.
              The employers use their position of power to impose a 0% or 1% pay rise on workers. Is that patently wrong?

Comment

It is good to see you back Old Git
                It's not good to be back.

Comment

The employers use their position of power to impose a 0% or 1% pay rise on workers. Is that patently wrong?
                  The employers are not the only employer in town are they? so workers have a choice. In markets if workers are not happy they leave and employers have to adjust their offerings accordingly. in monopolies workers enjoy the position of being able to hold customers to ransom yet at the same time they are free to choose another employer to work for. They choose not to leave because it is easier for them to strike.

Comment

It's not good to be back.
                    Don't worry I am sure you won't be able to resist getting yourself banned again

Comment

The employers are not the only employer in town are they? so workers have a choice. In markets if workers are not happy they leave and employers have to adjust their offerings accordingly. in monopolies workers enjoy the position of being able to hold customers to ransom yet at the same time they are free to choose another employer to work for. They choose not to leave because it is easier for them to strike.
                      It's simple economics then?

Comment

Working...
                      X