• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone at M&S?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

There are many companies I would outsource a customer facing website too but ones with a different cultural context would be nowhere near the shortlist.

Nor would I treat the biggest, most profitable shop to cost saving....

I think you are totally misjudging the reasons for outsourcing. Its not to cut costs for the company, its to line up the pockets with bonus based on the cost savings achieved. Does not matter if down the line 2 years later the project is a failure, by then the bonus was spent on a new Ferrari and the clown can go to a new company and start all over again.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

There are many companies I would outsource a customer facing website too but ones with a different cultural context would be nowhere near the shortlist.

Nor would I treat the biggest, most profitable shop to cost saving....
      Nor would I. I'm nowhere near the online stuff, but even in my little silo it seems to take an eternity and a small lake of red ink to get even the simplest design document from draft to sign-off.

Which we then ignore and code up something that actually does what the business needs ..
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        oh look over there, its all IT's fault.
        Sales at the website were down 8.1% in the 13 weeks to 28 June, with M&S chief executive Marc Bolland admitting the new site had "an impact on sales".

Like-for-like sales of non-food products, including clothing and homewares, fell 1.5% in the quarter...

...All six million customers registered on the old site were forced to reregister, and there have been reports of problems with site navigation...
        Looks like it, even if ti was a poor management decision or botched project.

Comment

What went wrong?

I know when ex-clientCo's shiny new website went live, they failed to map their old URLs for products and searches to the new ones, so all google's results went 404.

Something that I'd repeatedly reported in testing but was considered non-critical. (i.e. poor management decision)

An emergency fix was put in, but that took about 4 days.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Looks like it, even if ti was a poor management decision or botched project.
            point I was making was that as the ship sinks the captain is going round shouting I knew we shouldn't have painted the ballroom yellow look what it caused!

Its almost certainly a poor implementation but I suspect that wasn't down to IT bods but the management.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

All six million customers registered on the old site were forced to reregister…

Laura Wade-Gery, who was head of M&S's online business, was elevated just one week ago to oversee M&S's UK stores and some are tipping her to, one day, take over from Mr Bolland.

Good to see that management incompetence on an epic scale is, once again, no barrier to advancement

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Laura Wade-Gery, who was head of M&S's online business, was elevated just one week ago to oversee M&S's UK stores and some are tipping her to, one day, take over from Mr Bolland.

Good to see that management incompetence on an epic scale is, once again, no barrier to advancement
                Ah, data migration...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Ah, data migration...
                  Ah yes sir! I am knowing all about the doings of the immigration
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    hmm

oh look over there, its all IT's fault.
                    Scapegoat time?

This won't have helped:

All six million customers registered on the old site were forced to reregister, and there have been reports of problems with site navigation.
                    and

Ronbo, Lancashire emailed: "The old M&S website may not have been flashy but it was a masterpiece of clarity. In seeking to emulate retailers like Next, M&S have produced an over-complicated user interface that spends most of its time "selling at" the consumer rather than responding to their requests".
                    Oh dear.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I'd like to think it's even a requirement for advancement, let alone barrier.

Comment

Working...
                      X