• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Anyone at M&S?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone at M&S?"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    +1 and with Primark & the supermarkets upping their game its getting even more interesting.

M&S should be going high end like they can't compete at the bottom end but their kit is now poor quality and as you say old.

They can always start a few outlet stores if they want to try the value arena.
    +1 needed to buy a couple of pairs of work trousers weekend before last.

The Marks quality is worse than primark. I ended up in House of Fraser and Next as they really were the only decent options.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

Anyway the fact that they have almost completely outsourced their IT isn't the cause of their problems.
    Well I say that isn't the problem but ...... you outsource all your technical guys ( IT and non-IT ), contract out your design, shut down your UK manufacturing, only employee minimum wage-staff in your shops and try and manage everything through 3rd party contracts.

And one day you wake up and the business isn't working. But there's no smart people left to tell you why and the people that are left either don't have the motivation or influence any more to fix it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Why indeed?

Anyway the fact that they have almost completely outsourced their IT isn't the cause of their problems.

The cause of the problems is that they actually don't have anything in "General Merchandising" worth buying.

I wanted to buy a couple of lamps the other day. I looked at M&S. The range was atrocious, they had almost nothing. So I got them from John Lewis instead.

The only thing I'd buy from them is a nice sandwich, the clothes and range of other products is years behind other retailers.

What are they trying to be? A value shop? Or a quality shop? 'cos at the moment they are neither.
    +1 and with Primark & the supermarkets upping their game its getting even more interesting.

M&S should be going high end like they can't compete at the bottom end but their kit is now poor quality and as you say old.

They can always start a few outlet stores if they want to try the value arena.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Why indeed?

The cause of the problems is that they actually don't have anything in "General Merchandising" worth buying.

I wanted to buy a couple of lamps the other day. I looked at M&S. The range was atrocious, they had almost nothing. So I got them from John Lewis instead.

The only thing I'd buy from them is a nice sandwich, the clothes and range of other products is years behind other retailers.

What are they trying to be? A value shop? Or a quality shop? 'cos at the moment they are neither.
    I agree, John Lewis/Waitrose should acquire/merge with M&S and rebrand M&S to Waitrose for all their local food M&S places and John Lewis for their dept stores.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    that ain't going to happen.

why would we want UK tax payers?

Why indeed?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    M&S has about 300 - 400 TCS/Congnizant staff at its IT headquarters in Stockley park..
    I can only imagine the state of the toilets now

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    I'm going there for some lunch later, why?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    By "Brought Back" you mean imported the technical staff from India. They didn't re-create the technical function with UK staff or contractors. M&S has about 300 - 400 TCS/Congnizant staff at its IT headquarters in Stockley park.

If someone ever tightened up the Visa rules they'd be absolutely screwed.
    that ain't going to happen.

why would we want UK tax payers?

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post

I'd heard they eventually bought the support function back to the UK after 18 months
    By "Brought Back" you mean imported the technical staff from India. They didn't re-create the technical function with UK staff or contractors. M&S has about 300 - 400 TCS/Congnizant staff at its IT headquarters in Stockley park.

If someone ever tightened up the Visa rules they'd be absolutely screwed.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    I did a stint at M&S Stockley Park some years ago - eventually some head bobbers took over the core infrastructure support, they left some poor UK manager in charge to oversee the transition and almost from day one there were "issues" ... in the end I had to feel sorry for him trying to polish a turd but couldn't help but feel he was being set up

I'd heard they eventually bought the support function back to the UK after 18 months

Memories of M&S...
    The bus shuttle to and from Paddington was a great place to have a nap / kill some time - being stuck in London traffic and being paid for it... nice
    M&S stationary cupboard was well worth looting
    Paddington office was a nice place to hold lots of meetings
    Totty in the Paddington office was worth the visit
    WHS esp the latter. Female dress code seems to be 'informal cocktail party';-) And the staff restaurant

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Memories of M&S...
    The bus shuttle to and from Paddington was a great place to have a nap / kill some time - being stuck in London traffic and being paid for it... nice
    ^This. Is a proper review of a clientco. Well done that Troll

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    I was there until end of jan. Place is a disaster.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Laura Wade-Gery

not even a 8 pinter

Hmmm...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I did a stint at M&S Stockley Park some years ago - eventually some head bobbers took over the core infrastructure support, they left some poor UK manager in charge to oversee the transition and almost from day one there were "issues" ... in the end I had to feel sorry for him trying to polish a turd but couldn't help but feel he was being set up

Memories of M&S...

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    I'd like to think it's even a requirement for advancement, let alone barrier.
    I bet she loathes contractors too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X