• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The CUK Gardening Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    I tried gardening when we moved in, everything died, including the mint, the only thing that survived were the nettles; they grew to 6’

And the flat-ish bit that was meant to be lawn was in actual fact was clover, thistles, dandelions & ants nests that grew faster than I was prepared to cut it

As such I went for the sensible options: diggers in, everything green stripped out & the whole lot paved over.
    Well Morticia, what do you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
      everything died, including the mint.
      You killed mint?

Do you have any good advice?

Alongside the wild strawberries, the mint is well on the way to taking over the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Paving is disgusting.
        Indeed.

Expensive too.

I've just costed the 150 tons of gravel I'll need for my Zen Garden.

Om.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          You killed mint?

Do you have any good advice?

Alongside the wild strawberries, the mint is well on the way to taking over the garden.
          Just can't get enough mint.

New potatoes with a knob of butter and a sprig of fresh garden mint in the pan. Hmmm having it every night at the moment.

Comment

Indeed.

Expensive too.

Om.
            Indeed Zeity. In fact my wall top beach garden sounds like it has a lot in common with your zen garden.

I'm going to get a load of beach gravel I think. But first I need to fill in the wall with a good quantity of top soil so that the plants have some substrate in which to grow. Then I'll apply a weed proof membrane over the top of that before covering in gravel.

Comment

Indeed.

Expensive too.

Om.
              No its not - £100 for 20m2 of sandstone paving. Previously loved from eBay.

£300 for 30m2 new from eBay.

I wanted a new patio and a couple of paths. Can't stand concrete paving.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                Indeed Zeity. In fact my wall top beach garden sounds like it has a lot in common with your zen garden.

I'm going to get a load of beach gravel I think. But first I need to fill in the wall with a good quantity of top soil so that the plants have some substrate in which to grow. Then I'll apply a weed proof membrane over the top of that before covering in gravel.
                Am starting to think that you dont understand the concept of a drystone wall. It's meant to ave oles in it, not filled up with soil or gravel
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Am starting to think that you dont understand the concept of a drystone wall. It's meant to ave oles in it, not filled up with soil or gravel
                  indeed GG if you want your slot filled NLYUK probably has man for that.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                    Hmmm having it every night at the moment.
                    I wish I was too, but I'm getting old.

Ah.

We're not referring to the same thing.

My mistake.

Comment

I wish I was too, but I'm getting old.

Ah.

We're not referring to the same thing.

My mistake.

I think you are !
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !