• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The CUK Gardening Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    it has to be climbers then.
    I would recommend runner beans or peas and please dont neglect the fruit canes, it sounds perfect for blue berries, logan berries or even rasberries. Grapes will grow, even as far north as Hadrians wall
    Would fruit canes grow on a thin soil? Let's face it - this'll be about 12 inches of top soil on top of a rubble infill so VERY well drained.

Already have a grape vine covering out pergola - there have been some very good Chateau Gittins vintages over the years & we're expecting another one this year!

Comment

What type of farm is it ? dig a two foot hole at the bottom of the sunny side of the wall and fill it with pig or horse manures, the caanes will grow.
      Alternatively, if you are stuck with twelve inches, try strawberries. It sounds perfect for strawbs
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What type of farm is it ? dig a two foot hole at the bottom of the sunny side of the wall and fill it with pig or horse manures, the caanes will grow.
        Alternatively, if you are stuck with twelve inches, try strawberries. It sounds perfect for strawbs
        Why bother when there's so much of the bull manure around "her"?

Fantasy stone wall gardening, what has the world come to....

Comment

I tried gardening when we moved in, everything died, including the mint, the only thing that survived were the nettles; they grew to 6’

And the flat-ish bit that was meant to be lawn was in actual fact was clover, thistles, dandelions & ants nests that grew faster than I was prepared to cut it

As such I went for the sensible options: diggers in, everything green stripped out & the whole lot paved over.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
            I tried gardening when we moved in, everything died, including the mint, the only thing that survived were the nettles; they grew to 6’

And the flat-ish bit that was meant to be lawn was in actual fact was clover, thistles, dandelions & ants nests that grew faster than I was prepared to cut it

As such I went for the sensible options: diggers in, everything green stripped out & the whole lot paved over.
            nnoo. not concrete

a weed is just a nice plant growing in the wrong place
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I like gardening threads

GG, do you keep your bushes trimmed or let them grow naturally ?
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

nnoo. not concrete
                : yep but it looks nice

a weed is just a nice plant growing in the wrong place
                my garden is the wrong place
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

I'm not growing anything at the bottom of the wall - that's already spoken for - it's the top of the wall that I wish to plant up.

I'm speechless. Philistine is the only word that springs to mind I'm afraid!

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                    I'm speechless. Philistine is the only word that springs to mind I'm afraid!
                    I have been called worse
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

There are lots of plants especially herbs and shrubs that don't need watering.

They do need pruning a minimum of once a year though.

Also some can grow rampant even if you do prune them.

You could have had a wild flower meadow.

No fertilising and you only cut it once a year.

You do have to rip out plants you don't want to self-seed during their growing season.

You should have posted on a gardening website or asked on here what is the easiest way I can take care of my garden and you would have got lots of suggestions. Paving is disgusting.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X