• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The CUK Gardening Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They do need pruning a minimum of once a year though.
    I would forget

and you only cut it once a year.
    Once too often

Paving is disgusting.
    But wheelchair friendly
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Oh goody, just what I needed - A CUK gardening thread.

Anyone have experience of growing honeysuckle?

I gather there are several varieties, and as with practically anything the more one looks into it the more complicated it becomes!

What is the best variety for (1) a nice strong smell in the summer, (2) sun tolerance, (3) frost tolerance

(I realise (1), (2), and (3) may in this case be the gardener's equivalent of "You want quick, cheap, _and_ reliable - Chortle!")

I was thinking of Italian honeysuckle, although that may not be too good at tolerating frost.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

you dont want honeysuckle. Potatos man, get some spuds in
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Anyone have experience of growing honeysuckle?
          Oh yessssssssss.

Advice: don't touch with barge pole.

It smothers everything, and you need a DC3 full of Agent Orange to kill the stuff.

For roughly 5 minutes per year it smells nice.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Oh yessssssssss.

Advice: don't touch with barge pole.

It smothers everything, and you need a DC3 full of Agent Orange to kill the stuff.

For roughly 5 minutes per year it smells nice.

Second that, unless you have exceptionally well-drained soil and it is up against a south facing brick/stone wall. The weather in the UK is generally too wet and honeysuckle is like lavender / rosemary / bougainvillea - they like to be neglected, so that they maintain a longer flowering period. Honeysuckle flowers briefly and then produces green berries which do nowt...
            Last edited by Scruff; 8 July 2014, 14:03. Reason: south facing added
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Hmm, my honeysuckle illusions have been rather shattered.

Any other ideas for a south-facing wall climbing plant of the same ilk that will smell nice (preferably for more than a day or two each year) attract butterflies and bees, prosper in the sun, and survive the winter?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                But wheelchair friendly
                We should have got you on Titchmarsh's program on ITV.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Any other ideas for a south-facing wall climbing plant of the same ilk that will smell nice (preferably for more than a day or two each year) attract butterflies and bees, prosper in the sun, and survive the winter?
                  Wisteria

My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

A nice clematis would be nice.

Clematis 'Victoria' (LL) | Clematis 'Victoria'/RHS Gardening

Or if you want butterflies and bees try a purple buddleja

Buddleja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                      Second that, unless you have exceptionally well-drained soil and it is up against a south facing brick/stone wall. The weather in the UK is generally too wet and honeysuckle is like lavender / rosemary / bougainvillea - they like to be neglected, so that they maintain a longer flowering period. Honeysuckle flowers briefly and then produces green berries which do nowt...
                      Oh, I don't know - we have it growing up against the front of the cottage and for those few weeks when it's in bloom there's just nothing like lying in bed on a balmy evening and enjoying its fragrance drifting in through the open window.

If you're after fragrance, you just can't beat night scented stocks. They're grown as an annual and you'd probably have to do it yourself from seed as I've never seen them sold as bedding plants but well worth the effort.

Comment

Working...
                      X