• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long will rofl harris get?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News this morning said the sentencing would reflect the more lenient sentencing of the age when the crimes took place.

There does seem to have been a lot of commentry along the lines of 'he could get a custodial sentence' which I thought would have been nailed on, but might not prove to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      There's a difference between being 'in prison' in your comfy mansion and being in the nick.
      I'm not sure if that's really the case. I've lived in a nice house in a rough area and that was unpleasant. Kids chucking rocks at the windows or whatever, not knowing when you came home if there'd be vandalism or teenagers waiting to heckle you as you walked up the drive. The comfort of the house was fairly meaningless.

Scale that up to being a high profile pedo and I don't think a luxurious life would be much consolation really. What's that quote about the food being like ashes in their mouths?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        News this morning said the sentencing would reflect the more lenient sentencing of the age when the crimes took place.

There does seem to have been a lot of commentry along the lines of 'he could get a custodial sentence' which I thought would have been nailed on, but might not prove to be the case.
        There will be public outcry if it's not custodial.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I'm not sure if that's really the case. I've lived in a nice house in a rough area and that was unpleasant. Kids chucking rocks at the windows or whatever, not knowing when you came home if there'd be vandalism or teenagers waiting to heckle you as you walked up the drive. The comfort of the house was fairly meaningless.

Scale that up to being a high profile pedo and I don't think a luxurious life would be much consolation really. What's that quote about the food being like ashes in their mouths?
          He won't be in a rough area. He'll be in an anonymous wealthy suburb with high gates around him. Not much fun, but better than being in prison.

I wonder if he'll be deported to OZ when he's served his time.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Fair point but even so, spending a few years and prison and then being "free" isn't quite accurate. He can lock himself in a nice house effectively under self-instigated house arrest.

Locking up the old just seems a little cruel to me. And yes he's done horrible things but the justice system isn't supposed to be cruel or operate on an eye-for-an-eye basis.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

I did think this was quite odd especially in the light of the furore around retrospective legislation e.g. BN66. Seems this kind of thing is not worth changing the law for but anything to do with taxation is

He won't be in a rough area. He'll be in an anonymous wealthy suburb with high gates around him. Not much fun, but better than being in prison.

I wonder if he'll be deported to OZ when he's served his time.
              He already lives on an island in the middle of the Thames.

Comment

Fair point but even so, spending a few years and prison and then being "free" isn't quite accurate. He can lock himself in a nice house effectively under self-instigated house arrest.

Locking up the old just seems a little cruel to me. And yes he's done horrible things but the justice system isn't supposed to be cruel or operate on an eye-for-an-eye basis.
                He's got away with it for too long so he shouldn't escape justice.

What surprises me is that I feel rather sorry for him, despite his crimes. Maybe it's the pathos of an old man, or maybe I'm still suckered in by his outward personality - I saw him the first time he played at Glastonbury and he was genuinely moved by his reception. But despite that, justice should be done and IMO that means prison - presumably a unit for elderly offenders.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Especially when others have been protected by the police and politicians for decades and probably still are.

Comment

He's got away with it for too long so he shouldn't escape justice.

What surprises me is that I feel rather sorry for him, despite his crimes. Maybe it's the pathos of an old man, or maybe I'm still suckered in by his outward personality - I saw him the first time he played at Glastonbury and he was genuinely moved by his reception. But despite that, justice should be done and IMO that means prison - presumably a unit for elderly offenders.
                    Do they have those? If so I probably agree with you - sticking an old man in a normal unit seems wrong to me.

I feel sorry for him too actually. I don't think these things are black and white. Jimmy just seems to have been genuinely evil but I guess you can be a nice guy with a depraved side. Maybe he couldn't help himself.

Or maybe he's just a good actor.

Comment

Do they have those? If so I probably agree with you - sticking an old man in a normal unit seems wrong to me.

I feel sorry for him too actually. I don't think these things are black and white. Jimmy just seems to have been genuinely evil but I guess you can be a nice guy with a depraved side. Maybe he couldn't help himself.

Or maybe he's just a good actor.
                      He should have thought about that before raping kids. I say lock him up for 10 years in a normal prison.

Comment

Working...
                      X